• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower ball joints press in? Screw in?

Bobby Sixkiller

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Ok so I ordered a kit to rebuild the front suspension on my 73 roadrunner. All moog parts. The lower ball joints are the screw in type. Moog only makes the press in type. The only ones I see that are correct are Dorman. Are there better choices? Is Dorman a quality part? The old ones may stay in for a bit longer as the control arm bushings are what was really bad. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Gonna put a million miles on it ?!?! IF not, Dorman will do just fine.

FWIW I have '69 factory original stockers that are still fine with 80k miles on them

I bet I don’t put a million miles on it but at the same time quality suspension parts is a must. I’ve seen ball joints let go. It’s not pretty. Here in the sticks. The roads are really bad. I’ve also seen them last many years and many miles.

Check out PST.

Here is what I used from MOOG on my 73, Upper Ball Joint Moog K772 and Lower Ball Joint Moog K719. These are screw in type.

One more question. Will the press in type work? I was just wondering if they are replacing the screw in type. I thought all b bodies used screw in type.

One more question. Will the press in type work? I was just wondering if they are replacing the screw in type. I thought all b bodies used screw in type.
Short answer is NO. Your control arms will have one or the other, early may have press in, but should be threaded. Also, if you are doing yourself, use a little heat on the control arm to expand the metal just a bit when taking the old threaded ones out, otherwise you could strip the threads, which are very thin, and when installing new ones, grease the crap out of the threads and make sure to torque to spec!

Been awhile but found some USA made parts for my car from a local auto parts house. Gotta ask where the stuff is made and if'n it's China, I will not accept them.

If yours are screw in thats what has to go back in seen others press in and things go way bad!

Might look in your service manual. Should tell you.
Every one I've changed, press the old one out. Yes, their threaded, but not normal threads...maybe stainless steel.
Takes a one-of-a-kind socket, to screw the new ones in place, and torque it. Don't press them in, you'll screw up the fit!

Unless later (73) joints are different, than the ones I'm used to.

Only hurts...two times!

Uhh, their different than the ones I've changed. Must be new and improved.

we've had this discussion before.

mid year 73 changed to press in

press in for 74

I'd not grease the threads before install

a little penetrating oil if you must but make sure they are super, super clean

you should be able to hand tighten them the first 2 or 3 turns.

if not, back out and try again you do not want to strip them, as the arm will strip before the BJ, and cross threading and torquing could also crack the arm

Ok. So I ordered a set of lower ball joints from pst. For my 73 runner. Threaded type. Got them yesterday. Tried to install them today. They won’t go in far enough to catch a thread. The moog uppers went right in. No problem. I tried both ball joints in both control arms. It really is straight forward. Part number k719. Anyone else have problems with these or am I doing something wrong. The old ones screwed out fine. A little heat and lots of wd40. The uppers went in perfect.

I think you mentioned the pivot bushings need to be replaced, why not find a set of 74+ lower control arms, replace the pivot bushings and get quality press in lower ball joints?

Auto Transport Service
Back