• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Nut Size?

dodge68charger

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Does Anyone Know The Nut Size For The Lower Control Arm Threads Where It Bolts To The Crossmember?

Is There a Proper Way To Torque This Nut?

Thanks

beerestoration2018 842.JPG

Does Anyone Know The Nut Size For The Lower Control Arm Threads Where It Bolts To The Crossmember?

Is There a Proper Way To Torque This Nut?

Thanks

I am pretty darn sure it is a 5/8 x 18 Fine thread. As far as tightening the nut to the K-member
there is probably a correct torque spec, but it would be in your correct year service manual
if there is one. If not just use a long ratchet or breaker bar and tighten by hand.

Vehicle on the ground at ride height.
I believe 5/8" fine thread is correct I know it's a 15/16" socket.
130 ft/lbs

Since access on a completely assembled car sucks they are normally tightened from the bottom.... And since it needs to be tightened at ride height not with the wheels hanging... While assembling the front end with the car in the air I always put the nut on & when it starts to get close to tight I spin the washer while tightening the nut.... When theres just a slight drag on the washer I stop... Then the car goes to the alignment shop & I ask my alignment guy to tighten them while the car is on his alignment rack... With the sliding turn plates the suspension quickly finds its happy place with zero binding... When I get the car back I always put a wrench on them just to be sure but the guy I use is top notch & I've never had one not be tight...

FWIW Don is correct, 15/16 & 130 ft/lbs

I set the car on 4X4's.
Still nimble enough to get at that nut.
For now...

I set the car on 4X4's.
Still nimble enough to get at that nut.
For now...

Oh, I can too, but I really like having the car on sliding turn plates... On a 4x4 unless you drove it up there the suspension is not at it's true ride height... When you lift the car the wheels hang, when you lower the car they contact the ground/4x4 while drawn together & don't spread out fully..

Even if you drive the car being out of alignment the tires can force the car to rise or drop... The turn plate eliminate all those forces....

Makes sense.
1/2 the year we have stuff called "snow"...things slide all over the place.
Talk about excitement

I love this online forum.
I can always find helpful information. Thank you previous posters for the knowledge!

Auto Transport Service
Back