• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Shaft Damaged?

Chargered

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
What started out as a brake caliper replacement has now turned into a full fledged front suspension rebuild...….you know how it goes, one problem leads to the next. Well, I pulled off my LCA and it appears that someone in the car's past history beat the hell out of the LCA shaft either to get it in or remove it. Hopefully you can see in the pictures where it appears they were beating on it with a punch or something.

My question is, are these still okay to use or should I spend the $100 for new ones? I'm not sure what part of the shaft actually rides on the bushing in the LCA? It has 3 different diameters on the shaft. The only diameter not damaged is the smaller diameter of the shaft out towards the threads. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0298.JPG

Looks like you're long overdue for new rubber bushings anyhow and since the LCA is currently out! As for those marks can't see any reason to not just dremel them clean and reinstall. That shaft doesn't (well isn't supposed to ) turn. You are to tighten it in place AFTER the car has loaded the suspension and from there the rubber bushing is supposed to do the twisting.

Yup, someone with more BFSI than skills got in there & scarred things up... It's run this long, I doubt it'll fail now.... Replace the bushings & get it back together.... Do Not tighten the nut that attaches that to the K member till the car is sitting at final ride height..

Replace the bushings, clean it up with a file and move on . thats not bad....just some nicks. make sure the K member is not cracked where it goes in.

Brute Force & Sheer Ignorance....
Use to be called....if you've been in the Army....Brute Force And Blind Ignorance. Especially when the First Sergeant was having the troops police the company area....."pick it up, if you can't pick it up, you paint it, if you can't paint it, you salute it....all I want to see is elbows and ********".....now hit it....

Long ago in times best forgotten...
BOB RENTON

I have re built both front ends in my cars and used new ones in each re build

Well clearly you like to spend money.... It's a non-wearing part, no reason to replace it other than you like new parts.... Personally I like parts that have proven to work.... I've re-used literally hundreds of LCA pivot shafts....

Buff it out and replace bushings stick it back together!
As stated don't tighten till at ride hight will make bushings last much longer

Thank you for all the feedback. Last night I went out and just cleaned them up a bit with my Dremmel. I'll get the new bushings installed and move on. Thanks guys!

Thank you for all the feedback. Last night I went out and just cleaned them up a bit with my Dremmel. I'll get the new bushings installed and move on. Thanks guys!
I have a question on this topic to...
I cut the sleeves off with a grinder wheel and nicked the shaft...
Are these still ok or did I make an idiot of myself?
PXL_20201017_020203354.jpg
PXL_20201017_020255602.jpg

Go with it, can't see it being an issue unless you want to spend money needlessly. I had to buy PST's shafts as mine were so gone the LCA had been eating it...

just make sure there is no nicks along grooved edges,install it it will be fine

It's pretty minor. Paper thickness deep maybe. I'll just buy the proforged bearings and keep my shafts.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back