• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower radiator hose spring - FYI

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
I have just started the teardown of my 69 Road Runner for an engine swap, and realized I didn't have a spring in the lower hose. For some reason these are hard to find. I ran across one that fits perfect although it is made for a small block Ford - I just threw away the sticker and nobody will ever know lol. 13" x 1 5/8" stainless steel $5.95 each. The only kicker is that the minimum order is $15., so you have to buy 3 and pay $7. in shipping. Bringing the total to $8.28 each including shipping.

PB230003.jpg

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.c...SPRING-STAINLESS-STEEL-SMALL-BLOCK-P1415.aspx

That's good to know we can get them. I replaced the lower hose on mine a couple of years ago and didn't realize it didn't come with a spring in the new one. I had threw out the old one. But I was also told the new hoses are better & thicker walled now. But I still want the spring anyway.

Chuck

Or......use a stainless steel tig rod and wrap it around a pipe, bend the ends inward and BAM, instant spring that will outlast the car.

I got free shipping on the small block one that's 13" (EG4761) which fits perfect, the big block is only 8" (EG4762).

I must have ordered a couple days to early to take advantage the free shipping promo. Seems to be the way my luck rolls with these cars.

LOL what can I do for you since you started this thread its not fair everyone else gets the benefit.

If things are right, you shouldn't need a spring in the lower hose.....or in any hose.

So, Cranky, if the spring isn't necessary, why would the factory have installed them? You know that a spring must cost all of 15 cents, but multiplied by hundreds of thousands of vehicles, you'd think the bean counters would have nixed them. Call me curious...

If things are right, you shouldn't need a spring in the lower hose.....or in any hose.

I'm curious also Cranky. Seems like most people want to use them, and like Dave stated the factory did too. Regardless, I figure it can't hurt anything and want to do all I can to help cool my 451.

"Molded radiator hoses often had a coil in them when factory installed, but replacements usually don't There's supposed to be a spring in this hose! The one I just took off had a spring, so this can't be the right part...

Original equipment molded radiator hoses often were equipped with a coil inside them. Some refer to this coil as a spring, but it isn't really a spring. Actually just a piece of thin metal rod that has been twisted, it was designed to facilitate the installation of coolant on the assembly line, and nothing more.

When the cooling system of a car is completely drained, or in the case of a brand new car under construction, never had coolant in it, there is a considerable amount of air in the passage ways. Normally, when filling up the cooling system, you start the car to circulate the coolant, displace trapped air, and then top it off. On the assembly line, this wasn't feasible, so air in the cooling system was evacuated by essentially pulling a vacuum on it. This also had the added advantage of speeding up the introduction of the coolant mixture to the cooling system as well. The coil in the lower radiator hose prevented the hose from collapsing under this higher than normal vacuum.

Once the car left the factory, the coil served no further purpose. This is why replacement hoses usually do not have a coil in them. Most cooling systems operate at 12-15 P.S.I., which is controlled by the radiator cap. This is enough pressure to allow a normally functioning cooling system to operate efficiently, yet not enough to cause collapsed hoses or leaks in seals if they're in good condition. If the lower radiator hose collapses, it is normally due to a fault somewhere else in the system, and is not necessarily indicative of a bad hose, although an old hose certainly might be susceptible to collapse due to age. Normally, if the hose is in good condition but collapsing and blocking the flow of coolant, the radiator cap is bad or there's a blockage somewhere else causing pressure to build up in the cooling system.

As vehicles with original hoses began to age, the coil would sometimes begin to corrode and deteriorate, circulating tiny pieces of metal throughout the cooling system. We'll leave it to your imagination what this did to water pumps and thermostats."

I've thought about this too before, but working on cars for a living you tend to notice things. No new cars have springs in the lower hoses ! As long as the entire system is in good working order, I wouldn't worry about the spring.

My set is working fine with no spring / coil but it would be possible for my lower hos to get choked off. It is very short and has a tight angle to it due to the pump housing being a passenger side type. With that in mind, having a coil in there that would keep it from collapsing of getting pinched off is good piece of mind for me.

However I am about to switch to this Evan's coolant system and probably won't ever have a pressure issue again, but it came I would be ready and for $6 how is that bad? lol

69a100: Thanks for digging that up. In all the years that I've been working on and around cars (over 50), that's the first time I've heard that. Best part is that it makes sense. I learned something today and I thank you for that.

The things that that article doesn't mention is the suction of the pump results in negative pressure or vacuum and the higher that is, the lower a liquid's boiling point will be. A reason for running some pressure on the cap? Sure. But if the suction creates too much negative pressure and the liquid begins to boil, it will change to a vapor causing cavitation and loss of cooling efficiency. Ever notice the lower hose is usually larger than the top? This helps in reducing suction negative pressure but it won't help if the pump is too much for the system or the system isn't designed right when someone goes with aftermarket parts. I've seen people run a smaller lower hose than the top on modified cars and run into problems and couldn't figure out why.

In the 40+ years I've been working on cars, the only time I've come across collapsed hoses was when the system had issues. But if you're going to run a spring, use stainless steel wire. If you can't find one to fit the hose, make one like 5.7 mentioned. The top hose on my Durango just got replaced due to the plastic filler pipe breaking (mounted in the top hose, ie, two piece top hose) and since I was there and the hoses are 15 years old, I replaced them and the new ones didn't come with a spring. Also, the factory original was nearly totally rusted away. Was kinda surprised that the factory was still using them. Also, the top hose is the discharge so why would it need a spring in it since it would see discharge pressure and not suction negative pressure? "It was designed to facilitate the installation of coolant on the assembly line, and nothing more." as the article said. It's the bottom hose that would need it the most but if the system is as it should be and the hose is in good condition (and today's hoses are pretty good), you shouldn't need a spring in it.

That's some great information. Thanks to everyone for the comments. Since I learned something today I get to go home now. Oh wait, I'm already there.

All of these issues go away with the use of the Evans coolant, zero pressure = zero suction = zero blowout. We shall see! lol

69a100: Thanks for digging that up. In all the years that I've been working on and around cars (over 50), that's the first time I've heard that. Best part is that it makes sense. I learned something today and I thank you for that.

So your day wasn't a total waste. Your quite welcome, it's amazing what you can find with a little googling.

Auto Transport Service
Back