• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower rear quarter patch panels

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm contemplating painting my GTX but if I do I need to replace an old repair (mostly filler I think) on my left rear quarter down low behind the wheel well. I see a couple patch panels on Ebay listing for 66/67 lower quarters - from experience, are any of them any good? Or would it be best to just keep waiting on AMD to bring their long awaited panel replacements out?

Sir, if they are Sherman panels.....they are garbage. How bad are the panels you have? Post some pics. Some 22ga sheet metal and a little work...and you may have a great result.

Sir, if they are Sherman panels.....they are garbage. How bad are the panels you have? Post some pics. Some 22ga sheet metal and a little work...and you may have a great result.

I haven't stripped the car yet, still on the fence about tearing into it as it looks pretty nice and is a good cruise night car. Hard to pour a bunch of money into one of these for paint when it still looks so good, as I've already put far more money into the car over the years than I can ever get out of it. I know from checking with a magnet that there is quite a bit of filler down low. And I've snaked a video scope down in there from the trunk and hard to tell the extent but looks like a mess. Extensions look good but also have undercoating on them.

AMD, actually made some lower rear patch panels. They have been discontinued for quite some time, but some are still out there. I believe this to be one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283222677494
That looks like a good unit. I keep harping on Sherman, its only because to the extraordinarily poor quality of their stuff
I haven't stripped the car yet, still on the fence about tearing into it as it looks pretty nice and is a good cruise night car. Hard to pour a bunch of money into one of these for paint when it still looks so good, as I've already put far more money into the car over the years than I can ever get out of it. I know from checking with a magnet that there is quite a bit of filler down low. And I've snaked a video scope down in there from the trunk and hard to tell the extent but looks like a mess. Extensions look good but also have undercoating on them.

if your inners a good then the quarters are very repairable .... I use only tiny amounts of filler for its intended purpose. I’m sure you know how much this stuff costs so....enjoy that driver!

I'll probably purchase one of those and see what it looks like. Maybe that will get me off the fence to do something. But hard to start cutting something up that still looks this good (if only because the white hides so many flaws).

upload_2020-11-8_6-29-46.png

Funny I had the car out quite a bit this weekend and although I also have a 66 427 Vette and a 427 ERA Cobra Street Roadster this old GTX gets as many, if not more, waves and thumbs up driving around, as the others.

Search this site- we have an extensive 66/67 Plymouth QP thread including the forthcoming AMD release and info about which previously available panels are OK and terrible.

I'd wait for AMD.

Interestingly, I took a pick up magnet for retrieving dropped nuts and bolts in remote spaces and went around the lower quarter expecting to find some areas with missing or weak metal to attract it. It stuck solidly everywhere all over the area. I found a small plastic level with a smaller, weaker magnet on it that would not stick in a few areas which is where the filler must be thicker. But now I'm wondering if it's rusted through at all or just dented in and filled with filler.

I bought the car from a dealer years ago but I got in contact with the previous owner who had the car painted and he said the rear quarter had damage from some sort of accident but wasn't rusted out. He gave me straight info on everything else so maybe he was straight on that too. I have a nail welder for pulling dents so maybe that and a small patch or two would be all I need.

Interestingly, I took a pick up magnet for retrieving dropped nuts and bolts in remote spaces and went around the lower quarter expecting to find some areas with missing or weak metal to attract it. It stuck solidly everywhere all over the area. I found a small plastic level with a smaller, weaker magnet on it that would not stick in a few areas which is where the filler must be thicker. But now I'm wondering if it's rusted through at all or just dented in and filled with filler.

I bought the car from a dealer years ago but I got in contact with the previous owner who had the car painted and he said the rear quarter had damage from some sort of accident but wasn't rusted out. He gave me straight info on everything else so maybe he was straight on that too. I have a nail welder for pulling dents so maybe that and a small patch or two would be all I need.
That sounds very promising. I would dig the bondo out and find exactly where I was at. Those gentle curves are easy to replicate for small patches if needed and you will be much happier knowing exactly where you are at. Take many pictures of the process so a future owner doesn't have the same questions and have to go through this again.

Auto Transport Service
Back