• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower steering column bearing

slx70

Local time
12:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1969 dodge coronet rt steering column with a floor shift that needs a lower bearing. I have seen nylon repop bearings for around $90.00. I have herd that you can use a steel bearing (ER-16) in its place. has anyone on this site have any experience with this bearing?
Thanks Bill.

Like this ?

20210623_193315.jpg

I have a Delrin bushing made up to put in the lower of my 65. It will hide behind the rubber seal that goes there. Much better job of supporting the shaft than the seal.

I bought one of the repops for my last project and ended up returning it. It was nowhere near the quality of my original. I ended up cleaning and regreasing my old one. Was debating getting a ER16 to try, but turned out there was nothing wrong with mine. Only issue with that other bearing is how it mounts. Originals have the raised portion of nylon to locate it and then the set screw through the outer tube. ER16 you have to turn a set screw onto the inner shaft.

That looks like the ER-16 bearing , did it install ok? and how is it working?
I had the whole column out, and changed it from column shift auto to console shift auto. So i put it in then. Easy to install, but i haven't had it on the road yet.

When I purchased my RMS suspension a plastic bushing was included. I just installed it yesterday, just pressed in. No retainer and a solid chunk of support. It would be simple to fab on a lathe from a slug of Delrin (maybe UHMW). Probably 1 1/2" long, with a 1/8" thick flange (same OD as the column).
Mike

Verify size by measuring ID of steering tube & OD if steering shaft.I am removing the 63 three on the tree column with a 65 floor shift column.I will also replace the the solid shaft with CM tube. Hope to loose at least 10 lbs.

I believe Detroit Muscle Technologies has steering column bearings. Not sure about your year. Maybe worth a look.

I measured up the id of my column and the od of the shaft, had a guy make a bushing/sleeve out of Delrin. Have not put it in yet. From the factory they used a rubber boot for the end of the tube with a nylon ring formed in it for the shaft. This allowed for some movement of the shaft in the tube but I don't like that arrangement. I did pick up a replacement boot which I will put on after the Delrin unit is in.

Auto Transport Service
Back