• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering convertible top

citadel

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
Random question....
How low should the top assembly go when I am lowering it? The frame is still visible and is higher the the top of the quarter panels.
Is there a best practice in lowering a top on a 69 roadrunner?
image.jpg

I just watch for any pinch of the top as it's lowered.
My frame sets flush with the top of the quarter panels
I don't know what is causing yours to stick up
Has the top been damaged at one time?
I would check to make sure that the hinge joints are not binding on each other
Good luck

Hydraulic or manual? Your hydraulic cylinders may not be adjusted correctly.

Your top should go down about 4"-6" lower than that. It should be about 1"-2" down below the fenders/trunk when all the way down. Is this a new problem? It looks like either the top is not installed exactly right, the car sat in the sun & the top shrank a lot over the years..... or the most likely... something is binding in the top mechanism. For the last 30+ years, my "best practice" has been to push the switch & watch to make sure the top folds like it should & jump out to re-fold it if necessary... that's it.

Silly question but make sure (if you have one installed) that the top boot is not sitting down inside the top well....

Check for contraband under the top assembly. Somebody may have forgot about a key or two out back lol.

If it was me I'd be pulling the back seat, header panel and rear interior panels to see what is going on down there. The top cylinder anchors are known to come out and cause all kinds of damage in the 1/4 panel well.

Auto Transport Service
Back