• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering steering colum

Azndude

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm taking the dash board out of an 1969 Roadrunner. The shifter is on the center colum, but I need to drop/lower the steering colum, in order to get the dash out. Any pictures or full detail, would help greatly... I've already removed the front wind shield too.

should be able to unbolt collar under collumn and unbolt firewall plate and drop it out the way

Done it several times. Unscrew any dash trim plate that may be under the column, then unbolt the two bolts on the metal plate at the bottom of the column where it attaches to another larger plate. Then, take off the nuts that secure the column under the dash. The column will drop at the front. If it doesn't drop enough, disconnect the wiring harness plugs, unbolt the four bolts on the plate at the firewall, and it will drop even more.

Auto Transport Service
Back