• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lug nut torque value for your basic b-body

jogirob

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
Incredibly I found torque values to semi trucks before I could find anything useful regarding lug nut torque values to b-body cars. Thanks for the help!

Correct. The modern studs are much stronger than the studs on the eighties and earlier cars. Current studs avg. 100-110 ft. lbs.
Every time the wheels are removed the studs wear a little. Eventually they won't hold the same torque. It is not a bad idea and is really pretty cheap, to install new studs and lugs on older cars. They should still be torqued to the old specs as they have a wide thread pitch.

From the 1970 shop manual:
upload_2018-11-25_14-3-57.png

That torque value applies to stock steel wheels. Aluminum wheels have higher torque requirements. For instance, my Billet Specialties wheels call for 75-85 ft. lbs. Best to check with the wheel manufacturer, torque to their specs, drive the car a few times and then recheck the torque.

Last edited:
The factory wheels are formed like a tension washer to hold the torque value

I have replaced all the wheel studs, and use the wide shoulder (bulge) acorn lug nuts on the centerline wheels and torque to 75 ft/lbs.

Auto Transport Service
Back