• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M/C brake rod removal

69roadr

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
getting a new master cylinder for the Roadrunner today, but before going any farther, i need to get the brake push rod out of the m/c valve assembly. how is it held in there? how can it be removed?
thank you,
Greg 028.jpg

It's should just come straight out. It's just stuck after years together.

Yeah. Should be a ball-shaped end on the rod. If I remember right, that end is forced into a rubber sleeve, that's fit into that end of the piston. It's simply there for positive movement. A little tough, but should pull apart.

well, with the help of my floor jack and putting a large screwdriver through the eye of the brake rod, a couple of pumps on the jack and it came off. this would be extremely difficult to do by hand.173.jpg

here's a pic of the setup for anyone else looking to pull the rod out alone.321.jpg

321.jpg

all I use is an ice pick to slit the rubber grommet. then pull it apart. but your way is easier.

That rubber grommet is unbelievably difficult to remove but glad you had a clever solution. Reason is the square edges of the grommet land in a square groove in the piston.

A little thin silicone oil or spray would only help. Unless you got it on your grip surfaces!

I had an opportunity to use this method today and of course it worked like a charm. One slight modification is I took the swivel plate off my jack and the push rod went right through the hole and that pad for the swivel plate gave the MC a nice place to sit. Brilliant!

put the pedal rod in a vise and tighten down, leave enough room under the piston to get a couple large screwdrivers in there and pry up....easy

Yep, that happened to me when pulling on the rod under the dash - of course the fluid came pouring in afterwards...

Yep, that happened to me when pulling on the rod under the dash - of course the fluid came pouring in afterwards...
yea, I made that mistake once. I pulled on the brake pedal and ended up bending the flimsy tab on the back of the M/C pulling the whole piston out onto the new carpet. woops!

the little rubber piece is nothing special....I just used a small piece of vacuum hose on mine....I experimented with different sizes before I found one that worked good....

the little rubber piece is nothing special....I just used a small piece of vacuum hose on mine....I experimented with different sizes before I found one that worked good....
Id have to argue that its nothing special. If that rod falls out of the M/C going down the road, your up **** creek!

I meant it's not that hard to get one...just a piece of rubber hose

I know, ancient thread, but this helped me greatly. I've removed many master cylinders and never had a rod stuck in one. I kept trying to figure out how to get it out. A thank you to the original poster.

Auto Transport Service
Back