• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-P p4120249 valve spring alternatives

Smokinnjokin

Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I acquired a purple cam from another forum member, and I'm looking for the correct valve springs to install with it. The box calls for Mopar p4120249, but they are ridiculously expensive, nearly $200 a set and I see comp spring sets are around $70.

Can anyone help me determine the appropriate comp springs to run in my stock 360? The only specs listed for p4120249 are the following, and it's not enough to cross-reference with comp's literature.

Valve Spring, Single, 1.497 in. Outside Diameter, .430-.500 in. Lift Range, .206 in. Wire Diameter, Each

I don't know **** about valve springs, so this has me scratching my head. The cam is P4452992.

Thanks,
Andrew

There are quite a few variables to take in to account when selecting valve springs.
The diameter of the spring,installed height, camshaft type.
I suggest you take the heads to a reputable shop and have them set the heads up ready to run for you. If you install the wrong springs or get coil bind you will wipe that cam out in minutes of start up.

Comp 901-16 has always worked well for me as a drop-in replacement for 340 red springs. I have used it around .500"-under hydraulics and mild solids. I think a .528" MoPar and up would need a double spring for adequate pressure. I have used the .509" (circle track) PurpleShaft with them as well as the trusty 270S Comp (.468" lift only).

Auto Transport Service
Back