• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machine gun tips

carterafb

Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
I have a 72 Road Runner that is coded for the machine gun tips so what I want to know is what tip would be correct for my 72 with the 400 4spd airgrabber .I know they came in different lengths,with or without resonators and either black or orange inner pipe color

Try "accurate exhaust" website. They sell exact exhaust systems for mopars. Their site should have the info you want.

I cant be much help, ive got a 69 with california pipes, no tips. What little i know is what i have read here, that the dodges take the long machine gun tips, the plymouths take the short ones. I dont know how to tell red or black.

Was it coded with the N97 Noise Reduction Package - California
Those where with resonators

If not , regular short tip Orange from what I can remember

N42
N97

A4CB3D12-C50F-439C-AA1E-76892B67484F.jpeg

I have a 72 Road Runner that is coded for the machine gun tips so what I want to know is what tip would be correct for my 72 with the 400 4spd airgrabber .I know they came in different lengths,with or without resonators and either black or orange inner pipe color
1971 & 1972 Plymouth took the short tips and the interior is a hemi-orange color. The 1973 & 1974 Plymouth and the 1971-1974 Dodges utilized the long tips. These were also hemi-orange. The resonators and their associated tips were only utilized on 1971 hemi cars.

"The resonators and their associated tips were only utilized on 1971 hemi cars."

Wrong

It appears Accurate no longer has them, just as well. The ones I got from them rattle inside.
Here are the pics I downloaded years ago from that site and others.
ExhaustTip71-2Ply.jpg
ExhaustTipAllDodge73-4Ply.jpg
ExhaustTips04.jpg
ExhaustTips011.jpg
ExhaustTips1314sp.jpg
ExhaustTips1315ie.jpg

Never thought these pictures were to be used as reference LOL. Those are the repros I bought from PG Classic and that's my kitchen table in Venezuela. Way overpriced, the inner tube is not the correct shape ( it should be conical, and not a regular tube stretched to meet the outer diameter. AAAAAND the paint didn't hold. It took me 1 week to burn them and get them black. They are SS and 2,5"

@Nacho-RT74
Will know
I think shorts were Plymouth couldn't tell you color

All red. I wouldn't say Hemi Orange. Is the same red shade use on the MAGNUM emblem. And well, sizes are already posted... around 13"-14" the longs and can't recall the short version. MAYBE 9" or so?

Black version is a reproduction market option. I guess because all become black at certain moment? LOL, and decided to offer them in black from the beginning LOL

Aaaand, resonators and tips for them were not just for Hemis.

Last edited:
Nacho, took me a month to burn the ones I got from Accurate Exhaust, mine are black now as well. And the rattle inside was no extra charge LOL!:rofl::rofl:

You guys just got me thinking, should I convert my plain black side exhaust to the machine gun tips?

If I do, is there a quality tip out there (I guess I need a 2 inch outlet)? Thank you.

I'm wondering what kind of paint was used originally, and what is using the repro market... I don't think high temp powdercoat! With those prices THEY SHOULD!

Never thought these pictures were to be used as reference LOL. Those are the repros I bought from PG Classic and that's my kitchen table in Venezuela. Way overpriced, the inner tube is not the correct shape ( it should be conical, and not a regular tube stretched to meet the outer diameter. AAAAAND the paint didn't hold. It took me 1 week to burn them and get them black. They are SS and 2,5"

All red. I wouldn't say Hemi Orange. Is the same red shade use on the MAGNUM emblem. And well, sizes are already posted... around 13"-14" the longs and can't recall the short version. MAYBE 9" or so?

Black version is a reproduction market option. I guess because all become black at certain moment? LOL, and decided to offer them in black from the beginning LOL

Aaaand, resonators and tips for them were not just for Hemis.

Black ones came through dealerships and I have seen many NOS versions of Black instead of orange...

Auto Transport Service
Back