• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine ad prices and actual prices

hoover

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Is there a law that would apply to this? I had been thinking about purchasing some parts for a while when i saw an advertisement in a magazine with what I thought was a good price.

When i inquired about it they informed me that the parts were $100 more than the ad states.
There is a disclaimer at the bottom that says prices are subject to change.

Why even put a price in an ad if they never intended to sell it at that price?

Price should have been good at start of ad, things changed

Is there a law that would apply to this? I had been thinking about purchasing some parts for a while when i saw an advertisement in a magazine with what I thought was a good price.

When i inquired about it they informed me that the parts were $100 more than the ad states.
There is a disclaimer at the bottom that says prices are subject to change.

To err is human. Of course CA probably has a law against it. Is that the level of oversight what you really want?

Add was probably formulated November of last year, and the issue has probably been on the stands since January. Still, since the actual date of the magazine is yet to come, it would be a good business practice to honor their own add. Still, they covered their *** with the "subject to change" bit that EVERY smart advertiser puts in fine print.
I bought a fuel pump recently from summit. The order taking gal quoted,me a price that was about $20 higher than my print catalog (and the on line price)
When I mentioned that, she dropped it down to the catalog price
May we ask what the item was , and the prices?

I understand that things change. Just curious about it. It is an ad for Stealth heads. $999/ set vs $599 each.
I have been on the fence about buying a set, and when i saw the magazine ad, i was ready to get off the fence.
I know that $100/each is not a huge difference, but we all need to watch our budgets.
The ad is in the april edition of mopar action (the only magazine that i will bother reading anymore)

I understand that things change. Just curious about it. It is an ad for Stealth heads. $999/ set vs $599 each.
I have been on the fence about buying a set, and when i saw the magazine ad, i was ready to get off the fence.
I know that $100/each is not a huge difference, but we all need to watch our budgets.
The ad is in the april edition of mopar action (the only magazine that i will bother reading anymore)
That has to be a misprint because those heads have been $999 a set for a looooong time. I'm actually surprised they haven't gone up in price in the last 2 years, everything else has. $999/set is a good bang for your buck.

That has to be a misprint because those heads have been $999 a set for a looooong time. I'm actually surprised they haven't gone up in price in the last 2 years, everything else has. $999/set is a good bang for your buck.
Is $1,198/set a good deal? $599 each?

The problem is that we live in uncertain crazy times. I bid a large 12000 sq. ft house almost a year ago, materials have went up about 70% since then, i put the same disclosure in my bids, so therefore my bid will increase in 70% for the material part do I make anymore money, NO. inflation is a bitch and price gouging should be enforced, but I'm not going to work for free to honor a bid where the material cost has increased on my end, so its sucks but that price is passed on to the customer.

There are two possibilities here with this ad:
(1) The vendor purposely put in a bait and switch
(2) Out of the vendor's control, prices have gone up and they need to pass that on to the customer.

With rapidly rising fuel costs and logistics issues, a lot of stuff has rapidly increased in price. I'm thinking this situation is likely the #2 scenario

Gotcha, I misread your earlier post. So they must have just recently raised the price. Can't blame them a bit, and I would bet their profit margin hasn't gone up much if any from 2 years ago. And yes, I still think they are worth it.

Please understand. I am not trying to beat up on 440 source, just wondering what you guys thought about it.
I have a set of 915s that i was going to port and put new valves in (money already spent)
Then i saw the ad and it got me thinking about stealths.
200 bucks is only 200 bucks, but 200 bucks is 200 bucks. Lol!
I suppose i could assemble and sell my 915s, then buy the stealths.
It is just a street car with a 440source 505.
Will never race it.
Opinions?

Eddie 60829 that I paid $1200 a pair for a few years ago, are now $970 each, and will be "special ordered" , meaning you might get them in June.
Nobody has any stock on hand of Mopar aluminum heads, it seems, the Chinese castings are on a boat off LA, and edelbrock and trick flow are way behind, probably busy making Chevy and Ford heads.
If those heads are actually AVAILABLE, and I wanted them, I'd jump on em.

Opinion...go with your 915s.

There are two possibilities here with this ad:
(1) The vendor purposely put in a bait and switch
(2) Out of the vendor's control, prices have gone up and they need to pass that on to the customer.

With rapidly rising fuel costs and logistics issues, a lot of stuff has rapidly increased in price. I'm thinking this situation is likely the #2 scenario
I paid $740 to fill the tanks in my Peterbilt yesterday, up about $200 from December. These costs have been passed on to my shippers, and ultimately, the consumers of the stuff they produce. I went through the same scenario in 1979 with my first truck. Younger folks haven't seen this stuff before, but it sure isn't the first time it's happened.

The stealths flow about 50 cfm (or more) than 915s. According to the old saying, roughly 2hp/cfm potential, so your 505 could pick up 100hp from a head swap. You will probably really see about 50. Whether that is worthwhile is up to you......

I’ve been waiting for TF 240’s or 270’s so those Stealths are a bargain.

It got your attention and for some that's all it takes for a sale.

I am working on a Fox body mustang I inherited from my son... I saw this happening about a year ago so I purchased some items early that I wasn't going to be needing for a while, especially if steel or metal was involved....
This nine inch rear(pic) has gone up almost $300 since I bought it.....

I was about a month too late on my Carport when I went online to purchase it, and 13 months too late for the metal roof for my home I had planned on.... I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices they are at now.. Bucket of goop and me did some patch work yesterday...LOL.. HOPE in the distant future prices might come back down somewhat... That or the entire world will go Bankrupt......
DSCF0734.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back