• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

magnum wheel issue

steve from staten island

Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
I have a brand new set of 15 inch magnum's on my car that I bought from Summit. Now one of the lugs does not tighten up. What must be happening is the face of the lug is narrow and it must have eaten in to far of the hole in the wheel. I think the stud is turning in the hub.
I tried a regular stock wheel nut and no problem. I put a washer over the stud and again no problem.
These are the chrome lugs I bought from Year one. Is there a "fatter" lug that would work?

I think you got ford wheels,dodge only made 14s,dodge has a lager center,try putting a 1/4 spacer between wheel and axel, if that works there’s your problem

With the repro wheels it is best to use a "bulge nut" I believe they call them.
The repro wheels do not have a certain bulge out where the wheel nut is so you have to watch you do not bottom the nut at the end of the thread at then hub end.
I compared my repro Magnums on my GTX to the Mopar made ones on my Challenger and they are definitely different.
I also found because they do not have the bulge the wheel can foul on the stud nurl at the hub.

With the repro wheels it is best to use a "bulge nut" I believe they call them.
The repro wheels do not have a certain bulge out where the wheel nut is so you have to watch you do not bottom the nut at the end of the thread at then hub end.
I compared my repro Magnums on my GTX to the Mopar made ones on my Challenger and they are definitely different.
I also found because they do not have the bulge the wheel can foul on the stud nurl at the hub.
I think that is exactly what happened. I found a set of lugs on E-bay that address this exact problem. In the add they talk about the lugs being two slender. The ones they advertise have more of a shoulder and do not bottom out.
I can see a real problem developing if this issue is not taken care of

I bought those wheels when I had my 69 RR. It still had the l/side lugs... I ordered new lugs. Never had a problem

As per the original posting: The stud turning in the hub is your problem. Need a new stud. The knurls are probably stripped on the old one. Fix that and quit screwing around with different lug nuts...

I know the Magnum 500 wheels I got from Specialty Wheel , now Coker , have more material around the lug hole , than the factory ever thought of using. There is a dome around the lug hole on these wheels , compared to a volcano shaped hole on the factory wheels.
Yes the stud is the problem in this case.

Frank

Last edited:
...and for the record, Motor Wheel Magnum 500 wheels (also known as Chrysler Road Wheels) do NOT have register holes as was suggested in a post above, no matter the size or vehicle brand.

Are you referring to the center register hole or some kinda lug hole registers. The center hole on a Magnum 500 or a Mopar Road wheel is for mounting the center cap , and that's it. All of these kind of wheels should be balanced by the lug holes only , that's what it used to say on the side of the Specialty Wheel boxes.

Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back