• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maiden Voyage

Rustydustydoc

Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
After sitting for 13 years in a field unknown of what condition the motor or trans were, I got to take it for a spin today (legally). This car still need a lot of work, but I drove it for awhile and only broke down once lol (needle got stuck and flooded, removed and cleaned it and fired back up and drove home). I'm looking forward to driving it more once I fix the steering, it's a little sketchy to drive.

06-04-2020.jpg

Good to see you've got it on the road, should continue to be a great project.

The sweet taste of victory.

Dilly, dilly!

....cars are America. If you're a car guy, chances are you're one hell of an American. Way to go fellow American.

Funny that you mention the steering, that is the reason why I parked mine back in 1992 and didn't really drive it again until after the restoration finished in 2014. I could turn the steering wheel about 4 inches left and right from center and the car would still go straight.

The maiden voyage is always a great feeling.

I'm always amazed at all the other things you find out about the car once it's out of the driveway.

Thank you all!! The steering (and I'm not proud of but just really wanted to drive it) rag joint was completely shot, causing a lot of slop and unable to drive safely. I removed it and put a fan spacer in its place with new bolts. No slop now but its hard to steer left or right then gets loose and easy, still not right. What can I do to fix this?

is there binding?

I used a hockey puck to replace my crumbling "rag joint".

If what you did isn't causing a binding condition (or some other issue), then there is likely a second problem.

is there binding?

I used a hockey puck to replace my crumbling "rag joint".

If what you did isn't causing a binding condition (or some other issue), then there is likely a second problem.

I believe it is binding. I was gonna see if you'd make me one out of a puck, I seen your post on here. I'd pay you

Back when I needed one of these rag joints for my 73 charger I went to the dealership and they still carry that part in the catalog it is a little pricey but it is the right item

Back when I needed one of these rag joints for my 73 charger I went to the dealership and they still carry that part in the catalog it is a little pricey but it is the right item

I can't find them anywhere, unless its on ebay for $200. Seems likes every time I go to the parts store they have to order the part I need. Ended up need brakes and rotors, so I priced them online and got some slotted and drilled rotors cheaper than I could the stock replacements. Calipers were a different story, I ordered those at oriellys but they had to special order them so it'll be a few days. That's what I get for fixing a car that sat so many years.

drilling the puck is easy

when I remember, I'll post how to find the centers.

I also replaced those difficult to work with countersunk phiillips head bolts and ridiculously thin edged lock nuts with conventional hardware.

drilling the puck is easy

when I remember, I'll post how to find the centers.

I also replaced those difficult to work with countersunk phiillips head bolts and ridiculously thin edged lock nuts with conventional hardware.

I sure would appreciate it

Well after driving it around and getting to enjoy it, the motor blew up. I am heart broken. I drove it 20 miles to watch some local dirt track racing and on the way home I lost oil pressure and she locked up. I fired it back up and she has definitely thrown a rod. I have no idea why I lost oil pressure, I had just installed a high volume pump. Read 60-70 pounds then nothing and boom. Very discouraging, I just got my new wheels and tires on it too. Back to the drawing board.

Auto Transport Service
Back