• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maine trailer registrations?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here titles/registers their trailers in Maine? Here in Maryland, my 26' enclosed car hauler (9995 lb GVWR) has a two year tag that runs $160. Maine, that same trailer would run $99 for FIVE years.

The one thing I don't see on the Maine website is, do they charge property tax on trailers? Maryland does NOT. I don't want to do the Maine thing, then get a tax bill every year...

Just wondering if anyone here has done this for their trailers, and what your experiences are/were.

Curious if anyone here titles/registers their trailers in Maine? Here in Maryland, my 26' enclosed car hauler (9995 lb GVWR) has a two year tag that runs $160. Maine, that same trailer would run $99 for FIVE years.

The one thing I don't see on the Maine website is, do they charge property tax on trailers? Maryland does NOT. I don't want to do the Maine thing, then get a tax bill every year...

Just wondering if anyone here has done this for their trailers, and what your experiences are/were.

No property tax that I am aware of. Pay sales tax to either the dealer upon purchase or if private sale it goes to town. I just bought a 2021 flatbed utility 12’ cost me $27 bucks for a 2 year registration. $21.00 was fee and a $6.00 agent fee.

sales tax went to dealer where I bought it per usual.

Yeah, I have an existing trailer, titled to me in MD. Just want to "move" it to ME.

Thanks!

Friend registered one of his cars in Maine, wouldn't admit it to avoid property tax 32 mills. Said neighbors complained he should be registered in Maine. RIGHT!

Triplegreen,
i too live in the peoples democratic republic of Maryland. I have a horse trailer registered in Maine. you pay the fee and forget about it. You title it and register it there. They send you a tag good for 5 years, you do not get charged anything else. I had the local tag and title people handle it for a small fee, its worth it to me, "Terry's tag and title" you might have one there.

Triplegreen,
i too live in the peoples democratic republic of Maryland. I have a horse trailer registered in Maine. you pay the fee and forget about it. You title it and register it there. They send you a tag good for 5 years, you do not get charged anything else. I had the local tag and title people handle it for a small fee, its worth it to me, "Terry's tag and title" you might have one there.
Looks like ME has an online service now, seems pretty simple...I'm gonna chase it down after I look at my reg card. For some reason I think my trailer got titled too heavy because I'd swear I paid $248 last time (over 10k lbs)...but maybe I'm thinking of my Cummins. Regardless, I need to take a look before I jump on this!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I have an existing trailer, titled to me in MD. Just want to "move" it to ME.

Thanks!
May need to get a P.O. Box address here in Maine. But that wouldn’t be hard to do.

Edit: after further review... I don’t believe you even need the P.O. Box!

Last edited:
Police in our area Waterbury,CT. in particular are asked to check on cars parked in driveways for out of state plates. They contact tax collector and compare registration and who owns the house.

All my trailers are. Registered in Maine. ...no issues here ....had for awhile now ....
Go to a company called. ...Haskell registration ....they do it all for you very simple process

Police in our area Waterbury,CT. in particular are asked to check on cars parked in driveways for out of state plates. They contact tax collector and compare registration and who owns the house.
Maryland doesn't tax vehicles so that's not a problem for me. That, and it lives on 4 acres, behind a garage that's behind the house, that's 1000' from the road. Most folks don't even know I have a trailer!

All of my trailers have permanent North Carolina trailer tags. They were $100 each and they are good until 2099.

All of my trailers have permanent North Carolina trailer tags. They were $100 each and they are good until 2099.
Yes, but tractor registration in NC SUCKS!!! I use my buddies address in Alabama and title and register my Kenworth in Al. Saves me $1400 a year.

I assume ME doesn’t require any trailer inspections either? Here in PA I need an annual inspection too.

Yesterday post about Waterbury police looking for out of state plates in driveways. Today's Waterbury newspaper BINGO.
tax.jpg

All my trailers are. Registered in Maine. ...no issues here ....had for awhile now ....
Go to a company called. ...Haskell registration ....they do it all for you very simple process

Will they register out of state cars as well?

Auto Transport Service
Back