• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major malfunction

wahya

Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Anybody remember where they were 30 years ago today when the Challenger exploded? I remember I had someone stopped on I-95 and we both looked up at the launch. The smoke trail suddenly started going in several different directions. I said that can't be good. Very sad moment that I'll never forget. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

I was flying in an ARIA over Hawaii awaiting the Challenger to launch a TDRS B Satellite (Tracking Data Relay satellite #2) while we did the Telemetry and relayed it back to Sunnyvale
The Vehicle was to be launched (ejected out) of Challenger on it's 6A orbit

Yup, I was personally supporting that mission, in the Air on a Snoopy flying for the Air Force
we stayed Downtown in Hawaii at the Hilton
Right off of H1

I wont forget, and, you guys all knew more than we did. We didn't have real Time video so we didn't know the severity of the malfunction until we landed back at Hickam AB and watched the TV.

Attachments

• aria-894hq.jpg
    aria-894hq.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 216
Remember clearly. Standing in the Dispatch Office at LANTA in Allentown. Shop guy Dave told me and we turned on the Radio. Sad day. Check the Reagan Challenger Speech on youtube to hear how a real Leader handles tragic circumstances like this.

Anybody remember where they were 30 years ago today when the Challenger exploded? I remember I had someone stopped on I-95 and we both looked up at the launch. The smoke trail suddenly started going in several different directions. I said that can't be good. Very sad moment that I'll never forget. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

I was in Edinburgh Scotland, with my dad. We were watching it on Sky TV, and it was one of the saddest days of my life.

I was a cook at a restaurant "The Flying Machine" we had it on every TV....then the hole place got quiet...

Was in our office with my business partner, and his dad who worked for us part-time, as we watched the horrifying event. We were speechless.

Watching the tube in my living room. How ironic, I was on swing shift then, and on 9-11. I'll tell the boss making me rotate is a bad idea.

I was banging my girlfriend in the back of my '79 Caprice Classic. Epic!!

I was on a roof in Concord Ca. @ the Toyota dealership remodel IIRC,
listening to a radio, probably oldies rock & roll music, checking on my guys,
when they {DJ's} interrupted programming to say what had just happened...
I climbed down went inside the customers waiting area & watched the rest unfold on TV...
A bunch of employees & customers were all weeping...

Truly sad stuff, really sad
RIP Challenger crew

I was in college. I walked into the dorm and my girlfriend was watching it unfold on TV. I stopped and sat down and watched it with her. We just reminisced about it tonight. We've been married for 27 years now.

Auto Transport Service
Back