• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Project

MikeysM400

Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever cut the frame of a motorhome and installed a pickup truck?
I'd like to make a one of a kind build but am a little nervous and confused on how to go about it. I have a small idea. For example cutting out a large portion of the frame. Moving up the rear axle. Cutting crossmembers narrower so on and so forth. Anybody as crazy as I am??
Project Run Down...
1977 Southwind on a Dodge M400 chassis
1981 ford bronco
I am obsessed with my bronco. As well as the 440 727 that runs in the motorhome.
First idea..
Removing 440 and 727 from motorhome and installing into the bronco. Modifying what needs it and all that jazz.
Second idea...
Breaking down the motorhome to the bare chassis . cutting out a large portion. As well as narrowing the cross member, custom driveshafts, and creating a bronco 440 dually.

Thoughts? Advice? Need pictures?

Last edited:
That’s a heck of a first post for a Mopar forum. Your location says Denver, but your thought process says Arkansas.

Thats a lot of work to put a low horsepower,low compression engine in a Bronco. A Cummins swap would be the way to go.

Moving the 440 would be easier.
However, I would suggest looking for an experiment volunteer truck you can hack on. F150 even, but same gen. Then you can pull things off and hack away and not worry about messing up your Bronco.
440 is going to be a chonk compared to whatever is in your Bronco unless someone did a 460 swap already. might want to consider aluminum bits for the top of the motor to get it closer to weight with a Ford small block or you will find you are messing with springs etc. also.

By the time you cut and quarter the frame to death, it would be easier to use the frame you have. The Bronco was based on the Ford F-150, so just work on putting the 440 in and be done. Good luck!!

The idea would be to cut the back of the frame off and move the axle up. Great idea for that year of Bronco though.

The best way to increase the value of any vehicle, is to put a 440 in it.
On the right track.

Just swap the superior 440 and TF into the Bronco, you'll need to figure out how to mate the TF to the transfer case. Better idea is to trade the 440 for a 460 though. Tons of people have done that, those 351 and 400m's were junk when they were new and guys were swapping 460's into them when the original engines wore out in the first year.

Thank you for the advice on my crazy idea. Nothing is in the works right now. I am however replacing the body mount bushings on the Bronc so the body is already in the air and just had a spark. That's all.
If people put dedication, time, and heart into that M block it can actually be quite the monster. I have done extensive research. I know all about my Bronc.
The it seems as though zero car guys have any enthusiasm about the Chrysler 440. It's all about the 460. I am the type that walks away from the crowd. It seems as though the M block and the 440 are underdogs in the automotive performance world. I wanted to show that world what dedication and heart truly looked like with my builds.
I have been trying to find a transmission adapter to go from the 440 to the monster heavy-duty C6. However, I am more of a Mopar fan than a ford guy. I learned standard in a Bronc2. I like the body of my 81, I like the lines the character. But the performance of a mopar!! So next question.... C6 or 727??

Carmack, the Magnificent Genie, foretells a pile of parts and two vehicles hulks going to the scrapyard in Denver in the near future.... :nutkick:

What exactly does that mean? Yes I am in Denver

Post number six is spot on. I envision something like this, but worse.

1683479770121.jpeg

Well this guy did some crazy stuff, but he has some equipment to do crazy stuff:

It would be easier to leave the C6/4wd system in place but then you have to do something like the video.
Obviously you could find a 4wd Chrysler set up from the 70's, but you might then also have to axle swap the thing. Like I said earlier, you might want to find an experiment donor to hack on.

See comments like yours are highly unnecessary. People like you make people like me embarrassed to even pick up a wrench. You must pay someone to work on your vehicles. Or perhaps it's the wife that gets the job done and you're too busy getting your nails done. The vote of confidence is greatly appreciated.
Carmack, the Magnificent Genie, foretells a pile of parts and two vehicles hulks going to the scrapyard in Denver in the near future.... :nutkick:

Post number six is spot on. I envision something like this, but worse.

View attachment 1461546.
That is actually rather brilliant. You people don't see the dedication and heart put into something like that. No you point your damn fingers and ridicule the man. But the thing drives. He has plenty of living space. You predict my build was going to be worse? Wow, you people are something else. Bunch of jackasses honestly. All I asked was a simple question. Thank you for the advice. Thank you for the put downs. And thank you for the embarrassment of having a stupid idea. You all have a great day. Hope you get a flat $#@ing tire.

The best way to increase the value of any vehicle, is to put a 440 in it.
On the right track.
I am not interested in bringing up the value of the vehicle. I did not plan on selling it. My interest in all this is the performance. The knowledge. The know how.

Thank you HEY-O and DETECTIVE D for the well wishes, confidence, and belief that I could make that build happen.

red X? how do you think I get my huge projects done? :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back