• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a template for a hood scoop with studs

BanginGears

Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
What are you guys using to make a template for a hoodscoop that has mounting studs?
Fiberglass hood to fiberglass scoop.

Anyone have any pictures on how you made yours.
Working on a 64 Plymouth Belvedere.
Never mounted one before.

While mounting one on my '66, I placed some blue tape on the hood where the scoop would sit. Then laid the scoop on the hood, studs down. Took hundreds!!!! of measurements from every angle to assure it was straight and square on the hood and in the proper location. Taped down the scoop so it would not move. Took hundreds more measurements. When I was satisfied it was in the correct position I put a small dot next to the mounting studs with a pencil. The pencil mark was in the same position for all the studs - centered and on the outside edge of the stud assuring uniformity and correct spacing for all the holes. Removed the scoop and placed dots centered and just inside the original pencil marks where the center of the stud would be. Drilled holes at the stud 'centered' marks and mounted the scoop. Maybe not the best... correct or most accurate way to do it, but it seemed to work. Disclaimer: Please don't take this as the correct way to do it! I was nervous through the whole affair. Please use your own best judgement.

While mounting one on my '66, I placed some blue tape on the hood where the scoop would sit. Then laid the scoop on the hood, studs down. Took hundreds!!!! of measurements from every angle to assure it was straight and square on the hood and in the proper location. Taped down the scoop so it would not move. Took hundreds more measurements. When I was satisfied it was in the correct position I put a small dot next to the mounting studs with a pencil. The pencil mark was in the same position for all the studs - centered and on the outside edge of the stud assuring uniformity and correct spacing for all the holes. Removed the scoop and placed dots centered and just inside the original pencil marks where the center of the stud would be. Drilled holes at the stud 'centered' marks and mounted the scoop. Maybe not the best... correct or most accurate way to do it, but it seemed to work. Disclaimer: Please don't take this as the correct way to do it! I was nervous through the whole affair. Please use your own best judgement.

Agree. I did use the poster board but what you will find is if the stud are mounted crooked in the holes you will still have a problem. I actually did a mixture of both techniques. I used the template to help make sure the positioning was where I wanted it then used this technique to help make sure the studs were drilled where the scoop would fall into place without needing to hog out the holes.

Agree. I did use the poster board but what you will find is if the stud are mounted crooked in the holes you will still have a problem. I actually did a mixture of both techniques. I used the template to help make sure the positioning was where I wanted it then used this technique to help make sure the studs were drilled where the scoop would fall into place without needing to hog out the holes.
You’re correct about the crooked studs. I had one that was crooked. I compensated slightly when drilling the hole as the bottom of the stud was slightly inboard of the top of the stud at the scoop. That stud was placed in the hole on the hood first and the other just dropped in.

It's a big wide scoop bigger than hemi/AFX
This is mine

Side Brace.jpg Scoop Front.jpg

Wheres the template
Read post #4.

I've used thin cardboard and have done it as VFilms suggested but have no pictures. If making a template just be mindful not to use something that can stretch or distort. Another method I've used is putting something on the ends of the studs that will leave a mark when they contact.. probably not the best method when there's multiple studs that won't contact at the same time.

Another suggestion, put tape over the areas to be drilled to prevent chipping the paint.

Hey, that's a Sled City Scoop that comes with a no blow off? no cracking warranty for only $300. Everyone knows that the scoop goes in the center of the hood. Right? And everyone knows that the scoop goes within an 1/8th inch from the back of the hood. Right ? That center opening stud is in the center of the scoop and naturally goes in the center of the hood. Right? Drill the center opening stud hole first. Have some tape on the hood where all the studs will be hitting the tape after you lay the scoop back on the hood. Do your measuring to center the back of the hood. Mark on the tape where the studs hit the tape. Drill your holes. If you are mounting the scoop to a steel hood, you may have to use a hole saw to cut the bracing for your fender washers to lay flat. Side and rear studs are 10-24 and center opening stud is 1/4-20
. Use the type of locking nuts with the plastic inserts. On the center opening stud use a 1/4" stainless steel small flat washer on both ends of the chrome plated plumbing pipe that you would use under the bathroom sink. Cut to proper length. Sometimes the side bolts get bent in shipping, Thanks FedEx, and just take a plyers or a small cresent wrench and gently straighten.
Been selling those scoops for 26 years and if you need any more advise, just contact me here at Sled City. Larry

Hey, that's a Sled City Scoop that comes with a no blow off? no cracking warranty for only $300. Everyone knows that the scoop goes in the center of the hood. Right? And everyone knows that the scoop goes within an 1/8th inch from the back of the hood. Right ? That center opening stud is in the center of the scoop and naturally goes in the center of the hood. Right? Drill the center opening stud hole first. Have some tape on the hood where all the studs will be hitting the tape after you lay the scoop back on the hood. Do your measuring to center the back of the hood. Mark on the tape where the studs hit the tape. Drill your holes. If you are mounting the scoop to a steel hood, you may have to use a hole saw to cut the bracing for your fender washers to lay flat. Side and rear studs are 10-24 and center opening stud is 1/4-20
. Use the type of locking nuts with the plastic inserts. On the center opening stud use a 1/4" stainless steel small flat washer on both ends of the chrome plated plumbing pipe that you would use under the bathroom sink. Cut to proper length. Sometimes the side bolts get bent in shipping, Thanks FedEx, and just take a plyers or a small cresent wrench and gently straighten.
Been selling those scoops for 26 years and if you need any more advise, just contact me here at Sled City. Larry

Right. You did a great job on my scoop and I’m sure BanginGears appreciates all your info. If anyone knows how to mount these scoops it’s you.

Hey thanks for the advice but. . The scoop I have has 2 front studs. So that might be a slight problem aligning that's why I thought a template might be the only way to mount it.

Use tape on the hood in the opening area. Measure twice also. Wish I was there to install it for you. 15 minutes

Please explain the tape in the opening. I don't understand.
all the scoops that Sled City makes have a built in stud, You need tape under that center stud to mark on and not scratch the hood. That is the first hole you drill

all the scoops that Sled City makes have a built in stud, You need tape under that center stud to mark on and not scratch the hood. That is the first hole you drill

I think my scoop might be yours. A larger than AFX scoop.
It has 2 studs in the front molded in.

I think my scoop might be yours. A larger than AFX scoop.
It has 2 studs in the front molded in.
I'm not speaking for Larry at Sled City but what I believe he is trying to say is this.
I've made a very crude diagram (below).
As Larry has mentioned in his earlier post, the scoop should sit about 1/8 of an inch +/- from the back lip of the hood. On most scoops there is a bracing stud (see pic) that goes directly in the center of the hood. What I believe he is saying is to center that bracing stud on the center line of the hood. Measure the distance from the back of the scoop and the back of the hood 1/8 inch +/-. Mark on the hood where that center bracing stud is located. Drill your hole there. Place the scoop on the hood with the bracing stud in the hole. SQUARE THE SCOOP TO THE HOOD - measure from all angles, sides and back. Place painter's tape on the hood where the side mounting studs are. Mark on the tape where the bolts rest on the tape and that's where you drill the hood for those studs.
DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE MERELY SUGGESTIONS! HOW YOU CHOOSE TO MOUNT YOURS IS SOLELY UP TO YOU.
Lastly, you may want to contact Larry at Sled City. When I did mine we spoke over the phone about what I wanted and he built it exactly as requested. He took the time to speak with me and was extremely helpful.
Hope some of this helps.

hood.jpg BelvedFB67 copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back