• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mancini/carter 4845 fuel pump.

lewtot184

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
just did some testing of the mancini/carter 4845 fuel pump (supposed to be a 440hp replacement). i use a 440 block with a cam and fuel pump push rod installed and drive the camshaft bolt with a 3/8" 1200rpm drill. this pump spit out 2qts in 30 seconds but the dead head pressure was between 18-19psi. double checked the pressure with two gauges with only 1lb difference between them. i found the original carter 440hp pump from my '69 r/t and tested it . to my surprise it worked! it pumped 3+ qts in a minute and dead headed around 10psi. the mancini/carter had a 3/8" fuel inlet nipple with the 1/8" pipe threaded outlet. the stock pump has a 5/16" inlet nipple with the 1/8" outlet.

it's obvious the mancini/carter (made in korea) is a no go for any stock/resto or mildly modified build without some type of serious regulator. the original pump will probably work fine in conjunction with a return line; as they were originally built.

I've had two 4845's. Both times the diaphragm failed. Junk, imho. Rebuild the old one if you can still get kits or go quick fuel.

Things are such garbage anymore. 19lbs on your Holley needle and seat when it's closed isn't gonna be to swift

there's a way to use the 4845, but who wants to waste the time trying to find the proper return line orifice size. bet the orifice would have to be big.

Auto Transport Service
Back