• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

manual steering gear?

lewtot184

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
is it possible to buy a re-seal kit for a manual steering gear? i looked around and couldn't find one. i also looked at the Steer & Gear website and they wanted around $285 to rebuild one. is that normal rebuild cost? thanks.

Don't know what normal cost is but I don't see why you couldn't buy new seals from a bearing supply house. All you need is the ID and OD of the shaft and seal fit. I redid a power steering pump doing it that way and generally, it's cheaper that way.

Don't know what normal cost is but I don't see why you couldn't buy new seals from a bearing supply house. All you need is the ID and OD of the shaft and seal fit. I redid a power steering pump doing it that way and generally, it's cheaper that way.
may have to do that. i know seals have a number on them. maybe can match something up. i know power steering seal kits are available but haven't found anything for manual.

What all else would be in the kit? Never went into a manual box and only replaced seals that were leaking....usually input and output shaft seals.

Auto Transport Service
Back