• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB manual tailgate window unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev. Mopar

Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for at least the crank portion of the tailgate window mechanism for a 62 - 65 B body (think they are all the same). I have a 1965 Dodge Coronet wagon (Class of '65 K/SA) and the fuel cell is in the back seat well. Access through the tailgate. Our electric window has quit and I have to get into the thing to take it apart. That, and I don't know what I am doing on body stuff. Earlier I purchased the internal mechanism but the handle they sent was actually broken and since it is pot metal it cannot be effectively fixed - that, and it has departed the shop. I am open to buying an entire tailgate just to get the parts I need. Please respond on my post.

Thanks, Rev. Mopar

I am looking for at least the crank portion of the tailgate window mechanism for a 62 - 65 B body (think they are all the same). I have a 1965 Dodge Coronet wagon (Class of '65 K/SA) and the fuel cell is in the back seat well. Access through the tailgate. Our electric window has quit and I have to get into the thing to take it apart. That, and I don't know what I am doing on body stuff. Earlier I purchased the internal mechanism but the handle they sent was actually broken and since it is pot metal it cannot be effectively fixed - that, and it has departed the shop. I am open to buying an entire tailgate just to get the parts I need. Please respond on my post.

Thanks, Rev. Mopar
Have you made a ground wire between the gate and body? Your motor may still be good, but the gate grounds through the hinges, and they get dirty. Give it a try, it just might save you from taking it apart.

Rick

Tap on the window motor and see if it will run. They get old and dirty. Take it apart, clean the brushes and armature, clean and apply new grease to the bushings. Lube the pivot points in the mechanical linkage.

You really can’t rely on that power window for refueling between rounds, if it won’t go up they won’t let you run the car.

recently rewired and worked perfectly. This is the nightmare I have had since we began racing this car in 2002. Really don't want to mess with the electric stuff given that we have to drop the window in between rounds to fuel it.

Popped a 20 amp fuse. Installed a 40 to test it and it works well, but the draw seems excessive. Now I am looking for a new aftermarket replacement, a quality reman, or a NOS unit.

Popped a 20 amp fuse. Installed a 40 to test it and it works well, but the draw seems excessive. Now I am looking for a new aftermarket replacement, a quality reman, or a NOS unit.
Have you considered using seat belts like the 68 Super Stock cars?

Seat belts? We need either a tailgate window crank OR a rebuildable electric lift motor. In the NHRA there are no 1968 seat belts anymore as harnesses have to be replaced every two years (certified dates).

Seat belts? We need either a tailgate window crank OR a rebuildable electric lift motor. In the NHRA there are no 1968 seat belts anymore as harnesses have to be replaced every two years (certified dates).
I posted a used motor on e bay. Not mine. Did you check it out?

The 68 light weights used seat belts attached to the bottom of the window. The latch was bolted to the bottom of the door. You pulled the window up with the belt, folded it over the door and attached the belt to the latch to hold the window up. Eliminated the weight of the window regulators and would seem to be a foolproof method of raising and lowering the window. On a wagon I would put the latch on the outside for easy access.

I believe I still have this in stock--I will look tomorrow and get back to you--I own a 63 Plymouth wagon and had a parts car I removed this from--gonna pm you

Sorry --turns out I only have the outter half--not the inner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back