• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual trans input shaft finish at bushing

vintage chromoly

Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
Hello all.
The input shaft on my 833 is a little rough in texture.
I suppose I thought it would have a finish on it more like a bearing journal.
I'm assuming this is normal.
Also, what, if any, grease goes on the pilot during final assembly?
Thanks

Well, the smoother the better and a some grease is ok. At least that's what I've done with the stick cars I've had. Just don't go nuts with the grease. Polish the shaft but it doesn't have to be mirror finish and some pitting is ok. It actually holds a slight amount of grease in them.

The FSM calls for a dab forward of the bushing. A bronze bushing really needs no lube, but i don't listen well either Cranky.:D an extremely light skim is ok, but overdoing it just attracts dust and then galls the bushing / input shaft.
Go to the local NAPA and get some emery cloth, put a drop of cutting oil on it, wrap around the shaft, and go to town polishing. Wait, that didn't sound good, but you'll get the drift.
Replacing the bushing is a given, about $2.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Just read through the FSM and it calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of "multi-mileage lubricant" in the radius at the rear of the bushing.
What's a good grease that's available today?
Is general wheel bearing grease acceptable?

Yep, any all purpose bearing grease will work. I personally use Kendall Super Blu, but don't get caught up in it. Remember we put a guy on the moon in 69 with the technology we had then, including the lubricants. Kind of scary huh.
Lubrication is your friend!
rotfl4.gif

As long as there are no nicks or protrusions to gouge up the bushing you should be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back