• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark the Calendar, Just dropped off my "X" at the paint shop!

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
O.K., let's see just how long it's going to take. The whole car is in 600 and shouldn't
need too mush massaging! Tomorrow I will drop off all of the paint, clearcoat, activator
and reducer. Also the deck lid and hood will be delivered. The engine compartment, interior,
inside the trunk, and the underbody is all done, so it's just the main body.
P6110104.JPG
Connectors painted.jpg
20130914_151631.jpg
20181031_161039_resized.jpg
20160319_150536.jpg
Wish me luck!

Ah yes, paint prison. You are so happy the first day they check you into your cell telling you it will only be a few weeks of incarceration...:):)

Good luck, I hope you have a dependable/responsible person you are dealing with.

D

Awesome milestone, glad you are still wrenching on the car!

Let's hope it gets done soon. In my opinion, the tick is NOT to say "get to if when you can" or similar, but instead to politely and regularly inquire as to when the car will get done. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Hawk

My first thought is why would someone take their X to a paint shop! Tatto shop maybe :D Looks good from here. Did you do all of that yourself? If so, why wouldn't you do the rest of the car yourself? Like hsorman said, never say whenever but don't be too squeaky either. Looks like most of the prep is done and that is what eats time up so I would think you should get it back in 30 days or less. Ask them for a time estimate as soon as possible.....

Well, I'll explain. My Best friend has a body shop and it's been in an out of there for the past twenty years for
different stages of it's restoration. In 2011 I had the car blasted underneath at his shop by another friend that
had a Sandblasting and painting business. I was still working at good ole G.E., so I could only work on it on the
weekends. I suddenly became "Retired" in 2014 and started to really accomplish some progress. One day, My
friend's Wife came in and said that she wanted my car out of the shop. Whaaaaa???? My Buddy looked at me
and said, "Hey, if it were up to me, . . . .
So I took al my **** home in the next couple of days and did the rest of the prep work in my garage at home.
It was a real pain in the ***, being spoiled with having the run of a body shop for so long, but hey, I've gotta
getter done! I found another local guy who does very nice work with a shop and he's gonna squirt it for $2500.00-$3000.00.
Alot of masking and very little prep on his part. It kills me that I'm not painting my own car but I'm not painting
it in my garage. When my friend's Wife drops dead, well, I suppose we'll get together again! Until then I'm on my own.
Being on this Forum reading all of your posts keep me going and keeps me excited with what I will have when I'm
done. The hard work is behind me. Soon, I'll have to figure out where all these parts go! It's been fourty-five years
since I took her apart! Dat's my story and I'm stickin with it!

Well, I'll explain. My Best friend has a body shop and it's been in an out of there for the past twenty years for
different stages of it's restoration. In 2011 I had the car blasted underneath at his shop by another friend that
had a Sandblasting and painting business. I was still working at good ole G.E., so I could only work on it on the
weekends. I suddenly became "Retired" in 2014 and started to really accomplish some progress. One day, My
friend's Wife came in and said that she wanted my car out of the shop. Whaaaaa???? My Buddy looked at me
and said, "Hey, if it were up to me, . . . .
So I took al my **** home in the next couple of days and did the rest of the prep work in my garage at home.
It was a real pain in the ***, being spoiled with having the run of a body shop for so long, but hey, I've gotta
getter done! I found another local guy who does very nice work with a shop and he's gonna squirt it for $2500.00-$3000.00.
Alot of masking and very little prep on his part. It kills me that I'm not painting my own car but I'm not painting
it in my garage. When my friend's Wife drops dead, well, I suppose we'll get together again! Until then I'm on my own.
Being on this Forum reading all of your posts keep me going and keeps me excited with what I will have when I'm
done. The hard work is behind me. Soon, I'll have to figure out where all these parts go! It's been fourty-five years
since I took her apart! Dat's my story and I'm stickin with it!
Man, I know what the wives of friends can be like and I thought mine had been apart for a long time!? Tore it all apart in 98. At least it's rolling now and the doors are on.....

So where did ya take it to, Paulie? I got a guy in Westmont as back up fer ya if you need it.

The bodywork looks great from here...if the shop guys don't mess around, and actually get onto your car...my guess is 6 weeks.

If the car gets pushed aside for other work....you might be lucky with 6 months.

Good luck, I hope it gets finished PROPERLY, and not just for the sake of speed. :thumbsup:

Waiting for a nice job is worthwhile...I was still smiling about my GTX paint job after 20 years.

Yeah Mario, Kubis in Westmont is pretty good AND the Brother owns a boatload of Mopars!
A KB Hemi Arrow, a Hemi Barracuda, a Lightweight Dodge, Etc, but I went to this guy because
he's a friend of the guy who blasted my car and he used to be a painter. Kubis was my next
choice. Hope I don't need him!!! Hopefully I'll be pulling in next to your car before too long??
Hey Pete, what division do you work for for G.E? I worked for Chicago Power Gen until they
closed our shop! Got out at the perfect time!

Yeah Mario, Kubis in Westmont is pretty good AND the Brother owns a boatload of Mopars!
A KB Hemi Arrow, a Hemi Barracuda, a Lightweight Dodge, Etc, but I went to this guy because
he's a friend of the guy who blasted my car and he used to be a painter. Kubis was my next
choice. Hope I don't need him!!! Hopefully I'll be pulling in next to your car before too long??
Hey Pete, what division do you work for for G.E? I worked for Chicago Power Gen until they

Yep. That's Dale. Cool cat fer sure. He'll treat ya right.

I'm in the lighting division . Our division was sold we are now called GE Current by Daintree - LED lighting and controls .
Head Office is Nela park in Ohio .
Hope the car gets done soon look beautiful so far .

Yes! Nela Park Ohio has always been G.E. Lighting's headquarters. They sold off
G.E. Appliances to a Chinese company and leased them the name and Meatball for
forty years! I'll never buy any of that __IT! Hope you can stick it out till you are
retirement age. Those pension checks coming every month are Great! Gotta get
the Mopar done!

Auto Transport Service
Back