• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder Experts M1523 vs. M1404

PurpleBeeper

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I've been trying to run down a soft brake pedal issue & I'm looking at my master cylinder. My car is originally a 383 4spd power front disc brake car. The brake lines going to the master cylinder come in on the fender side (not the engine side).

I've been using the "hemi" master cylinder M1404 which is a little taller/thinner than most master cylinders. I put this one on simply because the brake lines enter on the fender (not engine) side of the master cylinder. Now I'm looking at a picture of the shorter/wider/more standard looking M1523 which says it's for 383/440 cars with disc brakes (no mention of power brakes, but I don't think they came non-power disc in 1970.

Anyway....I'm confused which master cylinder I should be using. Is there a problem running a M1404 on my car? Who knows what the real deal is on '70 master cylinders? I have a new one I've never used that looks like the shorter/wider/more standard M1523 type, but has the brake lines on the engine side. What's up with that? (not sure part #).

M1404 on the left & M1523 on the right

M1404 Master Cylinder.jpg M1523 Master Cylinder.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back