• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mating a 904 transmission to a 360

Charger72

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
Hello All, need some help; I'm wanting to install the engine and transmission together. Previous setup was a 318 & 904 transmission, now I have a 360 &904.

Not sure how the 360 & 904 mount. I have all the hardware, should I have the flex plate attached to the trans as shown? Also what I have the 6 bolts attached to the engine, not sure what they are supposed to be holding.

Since I went from a 318 to a 360 is the attachment different? Maybe some pictures might help me, the FSM doesn't really help. Thanks.

thumbnail_IMG_0981.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1013.jpg

You have to install the flex plate on the crank first and if your 360 isn't neutral balanced, you can't use that flex plate. The teen had a neutral balance (internal balance) and the 360 is external balance.

Thanks Cranky, my engine builder had previously told me "It's balanced internally requiring no weight on the flex plate".

Thanks Cranky, my engine builder had previously told me "It's balanced internally requiring no weight on the flex plate".
Should be good to go.....just make sure you have clean dry threads and use Loc-tite on all of the flex plate fasteners. Another thing, mark the plate and converter with something so you can get it to align with the torque converter more easily once you go to install the trans on the block. I also like to index the converter as close as possible to the mark on the plate....

Use new flex plate/converer bolts and torque them to specs. Cheap insurance.
I can understand that but where are the new ones made? Maybe look at one that's SFI approved.......

Auto Transport Service
Back