• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Max Wedge 2406518 heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a set of 2406518 or 518M heads. They would need to be good enough for NHRA stock eliminator. I know these are quite rare now and hard to find, but one never knows what is out there.

Looking for a set of 2406518 or 518M heads. They would need to be good enough for NHRA stock eliminator. I know these are quite rare now and hard to find, but one never knows what is out there.
I have a pair. I’ll check the casting #

62 or 63 Heads are 286. 64 are 518
Right. I have 286 now, but 518's are a legal replacement and a good option. Just impossible to find that haven't been worked on a lot. Plus passing NHRA specs. A real challenge.

518's are talked about a whole lot more than they are seen.
I imagine there are some "M's" around but I'd bet folks are sitting tight on them.

518's are talked about a whole lot more than they are seen.
I imagine there are some "M's" around but I'd bet folks are sitting tight on them.
Very hard to find. I would guess that somebody would be in a situation where they needed the money to convince them to sell. And it would be a good payday for them. They will not come cheap.

I have gotten more flow by quite a bit by a set of original nice heads
than the reproduction M heads. However, this was 10 years ago\and maybe
a new batch is better now?

Last edited:
Mine haven't been updated. So now having the heads done with new valves and springs. The person doing the heads says it will be a nice improvement, and who knows what else he can do. With a new cam and the heads it should pick up some hp.

I can't tell if you found a set or not from your last post. I sold a set last year to a fellow in PA whom I believe has more than one set. Please send me a P.M. and I'll provide his contact info. if you're still looking.

Tried to pm you but says inbox is full. Still looking,

Last edited:
Sorry about that. Box has been corrected. Contact member "chooch" on this site. I had forgotten he is a member here.

Right. I have 286 now, but 518's are a legal replacement and a good option. Just impossible to find that haven't been worked on a lot. Plus passing NHRA specs. A real challenge.
I have raced these cars since new in Stock/SS, Once the heads are "Prepared" for
stock = I have not seen any real difference in Head flow. The old style stands do not
make any difference either. My friend Gregg Luneauk raced some of the most successful
Stock Max Wedges and I will check with him. I will see my friends Steve Wann and John Shaul at
World Finals today and i will ask them they have any For Sale. You would be ahead to find
already prepared set ready to race. It is normal for me to spend $3,000 to $5000 to get them
ready to compete competitively after I acquire them for any Stock use and double that for Super Stock.

I could say more but not in Public.

I have raced these cars since new in Stock/SS, Once the heads are "Prepared" for
stock = I have not seen any real difference in Head flow. The old style stands do not
make any difference either. My friend Gregg Luneauk raced some of the most successful
Stock Max Wedges and I will check with him. I will see my friends Steve Wann and John Shaul at
World Finals today and i will ask them they have any For Sale. You would be ahead to find
already prepared set ready to race. It is normal for me to spend $3,000 to $5000 to get them
ready to compete competitively after I acquire them for any Stock use and double that for Super Stock.

I could say more but not in Public.
I appreciate your reply. Cylinder heads and cams are where the power is at in stock. All the good cyl head guys have their special things they do. I know about not saying more in public. Thanks.

Steve Wann has a brand new fresh 1963 Max Wedge engine that I
have seen run WELL over a Second++ under in his 63 Car. He is the fastest
Max Wedge Stock racer in the country and National Record Holder. He would sell it Manifold to pan
complete and it would make your car nationally class competitive. It has
some of the best 518 heads around done by the legendary Don Little. It would cost
over $35,000 to build plus the time to Dial it in. i could get it for about
1/2 price with no runs on the rebuild.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back