• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge and A990 cars

REB6PK

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
What did the original wheel sizes for the factory max wedge and A990 cars/

What 15"steel rims were substituted for the factory ones back in the day for drag racing?

Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What 15"steel rims were substituted for the factory ones back in the day for drag racing?

Thanks!
REB6PK,
Try calling Jim Kramer in Herman, Pa as the last time I was there, he has/had two origional A990 cars. He is an excellent source for Max Wedge parts and has tons of NOS Mopar parts at his facility. He may be a source for your needs......just a thought.
Kramer Automotive Specialties
P.O. Box 5
Herman, PA 16039
PH: 724.285.5566
FX: 724.285.8898
Email: [email protected]
BOB RENTON

Thanks!

Wheel sizes were tiny. 5” wide I think. Slicks were 7” wide which I think was mandated by the NHRA, couldn’t go bigger in 63/64. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think 7” was the widest you could go.

EDE79482-8085-4196-AA5F-98AF93845DF1.jpeg
67CCD34E-26A0-4D74-B435-F7C670D867B2.jpeg
Just saw this on Facebook. Was a 64 dodge 440 HT with a hemi 4 speed. Here’s the build sheet that shows tire size 7.50x14

22F69D09-68A7-44DE-AE29-DF0AB4036E40.jpeg

Thanks, I will call Kramer.
I have seen a few pictures of the guys that raced the max wedges and the A990 cars which had 15" rims on them.
I was wondering what these rims came off of back then.

Thanks, I will call Kramer.
I have seen a few pictures of the guys that raced the max wedges and the A990 cars which had 15" rims on them.
I was wondering what these rims came off of back then.

A100 vans

And Imperial rims
leal rim.jpg
rim.jpg

On another note, all the lite weight Hemi sedans in '64, came from the factory with American racing wheels on the front.

If they are 15" centers then it would probably be correct.
Would just have to find someone that could attach the centers to nice 15" rims with the width I choose for the rear wheels. I would like to go with 8" width, which I know is not for period correct cars back then.

The centers are 13.25 inches , which is the size of a standard 15 inch Mopar steel wheel band. Not the size of the original 15 inch Mopar steel wheel of that time period , which was 12.75 inches. When I had these made , I had the size increased to fit into a standard Mopar steel wheel band. A side benefit , that has been brought up by my customers , they clear the Mopar single piston disc brakes , that some people are using on their cars.
As far as someone to build the wheels , I know of 3 places so far , two in CA and one in WI that I have worked with to build out the wheels.

Frank

The bolt pattern on Imperial’s in that time frame were 5 or 5-1/2” so they wouldn’t fit the standard B-body rear end.
Yep my bad,
redface.gif
I was forgetting, at that time, the Dana's were borrowed from Ford f-100's 5 on 5.5

The centers are 13.25 inches , which is the size of a standard 15 inch Mopar steel wheel band. Not the size of the original 15 inch Mopar steel wheel of that time period , which was 12.75 inches. When I had these made , I had the size increased to fit into a standard Mopar steel wheel band. A side benefit , that has been brought up by my customers , they clear the Mopar single piston disc brakes , that some people are using on their cars.
As far as someone to build the wheels , I know of 3 places so far , two in CA and one in WI that I have worked with to build out the wheels.

Frank
Frank,

Just ordered a set of your centers (in wheels of course) for my 65 Belvedere I. I ordered 15 x 7 4.5" backspace. Had them powder coated gloss black. I will post a pic or two once they are on the car. Out of curiosity it looks like you make up the 1/2" around that first lip on the band which makes it a 1/4 lower? I ordered for the 9 3/4 inside diameter center caps.

Frank,

Just ordered a set of your centers (in wheels of course) for my 65 Belvedere I. I ordered 15 x 7 4.5" backspace. Had them powder coated gloss black. I will post a pic or two once they are on the car. Out of curiosity it looks like you make up the 1/2" around that first lip on the band which makes it a 1/4 lower? I ordered for the 9 3/4 inside diameter center caps.
Who did you order them from ? I need to get a pair of 8"x15" for my '63...

Not exactly sure where you are referring to , that I made up the 1/2 inch ( 1/4 on each side ). But if you compare an original and my center , the 1/4 inch ( all the way around ) is just past the nubs for the dogdish cap. The cap area had to stay the same , the rest of it can be adjusted in CAD. Oh no , the secret is out of the bag.

Rex is the man , out there at the Wheelsmith !!!

Frank

Not exactly sure where you are referring to , that I made up the 1/2 inch ( 1/4 on each side ). But if you compare an original and my center , the 1/4 inch ( all the way around ) is just past the nubs for the dogdish cap. The cap area had to stay the same , the rest of it can be adjusted in CAD. Oh no , the secret is out of the bag.

Frank

Frank
I think your the man for making it happen! Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back