• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

max wedge carburetors

stage3

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
anybody running the edelbrock avs2 carbs with the annular boosters ? either 650 or 800's ? i'm not sure the 800's will fit because of the larger primary butterflys...

but with the boosters and simplified adjustments to the air doors. etc. they seem like a good choice over the original 3705's...thoughts ? experiance ?

The 3705 also have large primaries and the manifold on 64 accommodates them
The 3447 have the smaller primaries and 62/63 would need holes enlarged
The max wedges have staggered jetting
and the secondaries are weighted correctly for cross ram.
The AVS are adjustable but not as far as you might think.

I race a 64 Max wedge when they were new!

The 3705 also have large primaries and the manifold on 64 accommodates them
The 3447 have the smaller primaries and 62/63 would need holes enlarged
The max wedges have staggered jetting
and the secondaries are weighted correctly for cross ram.
The AVS are adjustable but not as far as you might think.

I race a 64 Max wedge when they were new!
all true,,,but was wondering what modern technology could do to make a 55+ year old intake work better,,,,rumor has it that a 62 plymouth max wedge car running in the stock class nhra circuit, holds the ET record at 9.6 running avs2 carburetors...thats moving running all stock type equipment, cam, carburetors,ignition and headers r the allowed modifications....so who's running them. annular boosters r a big step in the right direction..

I highly doubt that an AVS2 is legal where an AFB originally was.

That 62 is not a rumor, it’s a fact. It’s no where near a stock a car, but it does pass a tear down.

The class is called stock eliminator, but the cars are far from it. There are way more mods than you know on a stock eliminator car.

@GTX JOHN knows all about it.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that an AVS2 is legal where an AFB originally was.

That 62 is not a rumor, it’s a fact. It’s no where near a stock a par, but it does pass a tear down.

The class is called stock eliminator, but the cars are far from it. There are way more mods than you know on a stock eliminator car.

@GTX JOHN knows all about it.

Correct nothing "stock" about a stock NHRA car

Someone on here has used edelbrocks on a maxwedge intake. The trick was getting the throttle linkage to work right. The pivot point distance from throttle linkage attachment to throttle blades are different from the stock afb. He could get it too idle speed, or full throttle, but not both. Eddys will need a mod to throttle mount position.
I'm lucky. I assumed my carbs were no good, so I bought two brand new competition Carter 750s (many years ago!)
Turns out the old carbs I have are 3705s.
Edit. Other than the throttle problem, I see no reason the eddys won't work. Of course, tuning will be required! The 800 will fit on the later max, the early manifold will have to be opened up on the primaries. The 650s will fit either.

My Good Buddy and Mentor Steve Wann runs Mr 413 62 Plymouth
My friend Dwaight Machel is right behind him in his 413 Stocker 62 Plymouth

40 years ago = before Steve was old enough to race - He used to go around the
pits and tell all the racers how he was going to kick everyone B*tts!

Sure Enough he was not Joking!

Last edited:
all true,,,but was wondering what modern technology could do to make a 55+ year old intake work better,,,,rumor has it that a 62 plymouth max wedge car running in the stock class nhra circuit, holds the ET record at 9.6 running avs2 carburetors...thats moving running all stock type equipment, cam, carburetors,ignition and headers r the allowed modifications....so who's running them. annular boosters r a big step in the right direction..

Increasing the interconnection between the two side of intake makes a nice improvement.
Stock they really fall off over 6800.

Of Course = It better be undetectable to Tech Teardown OR you will get a year's vacation from racing NHRA

Boosters must measure stock during teardown 800 will NOT check legal.
I could say more on the carbs and booster= But I better NOT!

After racing Stock for nearly 60 years = You get to know where
the bodies are all Buried!

In the 60s and early 70's they really were "Stockers"
You could buy a car from the dealer and with a little work
race competitively.

Today = Well NOT so Much!!!

Both my Son Jon and I run Mid 10's @124 MPH weighing
OVER 3300 LBs. with our "Stock" 340 Demons

Back when the were new in 1971 with Heads/Gears/Tuning they
were running Mid 12' and very competitive

Goggle: John Irving Drag Racer

Last edited:
Increasing the interconnection between the two side of intake makes a nice improvement.
thanks,,i believe u would have to cut open the intake to do that..i currently have a set of 3705's that have seen better days, and it sounds like the avs2 would be a great addition to my crossram, the linkage would have to be played with but no problem there..the booster's r the main reason i'm looking at them,,,,edelbrock 1905 avs2 650 cfm units. street and strip car.

If it was me = I would rebuild the 3705 even if you had
to bush the throttle shafts and replace 1/2 the pieces.
Mopar spent a lot of time setting them up! The Manifold
is unlike tuning anything else you have had (Passages ae
all different lengths.

I have friends in N. Cal and S Cal who do carbs for me and
they are reasonable and experts on the Max Wedge Prep.

If you try the AVS carbs do the Air Doors as tight as you can
make them without breaking the Springs. Be sure you have an
extra quart of the paint that you used on the car to fix it where you burn
the paint off the hood!

Last edited:
My Good Buddy and Mentor Steve Wann runs Mr 413 62 Plymouth
My friend Dwaight Machel is right behind him in his 413 Stocker 62 Plymouth

40 years ago = before Steve was old enough to race - He used to go around the
pits and tell all the racer how he was going to kick everyone B*tts!

Sure Enough he was not Joking!

20190427_132047.jpg

@GTX JOHN, I bought a 62 savoy from you, in the eighties when you were still in california. Traded a MO 302 straight across for a max to put in it. I still have it.
I dont think stage 3 is going stock eliminator racing. He can probably put on any carb he wants, lol.

A white or beige one OR a Red One back when I live in Whittier Ca.?

If you are near Pomona = I will have an extra pass for World
Finals 11/11 to 11/14 if you have any interest

You must be old like me!

Last edited:
Be sure you have an
extra quart of the paint that you used on the car to fix it where you burn
the paint off the hood!
?????????????????????? r u talking about carb backfire ? air door works the same as if it was on the underside like the original 3705's with avs2's..been my experiance with them , install the .043 shooters with a .500 pump shot stroke, with the proper step rod spring using the top plate side view to make sure the tension is just right so that when u move the throttle the spring is instant moved.. no hesitation and no backfire, per the dvorak max wedge manual i have..

A white or beige one OR a Red One back when I live in Whittier Ca.?

If you are near Pomona = I will have an extra pass for World
Finals 11/11 to 11/14 if you have any interest

You must be old like me!
Yep, a white one, with a caved in driver door. A friend found a dart door for it in pickapart. Ain't happening today!
Thanks for the offer, but my best friend gets about ten tickets for the world Finals, and the winters each year, thru her work.
I ran into a guy who said he owned my car before you. He said he could prove it, pull the mat up on the Trans tunnel, repaired from a trans explosion . Sure enough, found a patch!
Yep, I'm old too!

now
?????????????????????? r u talking about carb backfire ? air door works the same as if it was on the underside like the original 3705's with avs2's..been my experiance with them , install the .043 shooters with a .500 pump shot stroke, with the proper step rod spring using the top plate side view to make sure the tension is just right so that when u move the throttle the spring is instant moved.. no hesitation and no backfire, per the dvorak max wedge manual i have..

Let me know how that works out when you try running it that way?

Yep, a white one, with a caved in driver door. A friend found a dart door for it in pickapart. Ain't happening today!
Thanks for the offerp, but my best friend gets about ten tickets for the world Finals, and the winters each year, thru her work.
I ran into a guy who said he owned my car before you. He said he could prove it, pull the mat up on the Trans tunnel, repaired from a trans explosion . Sure enough, found a patch!
Yep, I'm old too!

Stop by and see us if you have a chance!
We will have 4 of our cars there.

Anyone else is welcome to come visit as well.

They Look Like this:
Goggle : John Irving Drag Racer

Let me know how that works out when you try running it that way?
i did run the max motor that way last year with the crossram and 3705's and it ran more than fine, instant acceleration. no back fire, no paint being burned,,i mean if u have something to say ................................................

for you guys that want good info on your Max Wedges, talk to Jerry Stein of TEACHERS PET fame. He has complete motors, aluminum front ends, many tried and proven parts and info, and yes he uses the new carbs over the old ones from 62-64. You will find him on FaceBook

Auto Transport Service
Back