• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

max wedge exhaust manifolds

coronet65

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking of running max wedge exhaust manifolds with my max wedge victors. Any idea how much its going to hurt horse power. I am also running max wedge intake . Its going into a 1965 coronet. thanks

I think they would probably start to hurt flow after the 450hp mark. That's right around what the late 60s hi-po manifolds were shown to be good to, and I have read that flow on the maxies is at least as good or slightly better, plus you have the bigger port size.

I say you MAY lose 40 HP

This is mine, going into my 63 Polara (SOON)
Yup, that IS Mr. Dale Reed !!
I'm running TTIs

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 918
Mike Liston at MRL Performance did a dyno run using stock and then HP manifolds and saw ZERO change. Whether the Max Wedge manifolds would be different, I don't know. I would bet they would show some increase.....you'd think so at least.

How fast have they gone with these manifolds? This is my engine specs 540 cu in solid roller 660lift [email protected] 11.5 compression, 1.6 rocker, 2 afb diamondback 800s, 4.10gear dana, 4-speed i was hoping for low 11 or high tens.I love the look of max wedges,just dont know if im going in right direction.Any ideas would be a great help from all of you. thanks

540 cubes......I wouldn't put manifolds of any kind on that. Think about this. Even the "stock" Max Wedges sped up with headers. You're talkin about 540 cubes with 11.5 compression and a .660 lift solid roller and you wanna run manifolds? That thing needs the absolutely freest flowing headers money can buy.

There is a guy in PA, I think his name is Mike Wiley. He is a big time max wedge guy. There was an article in MCG years ago, and he had built a set of headers that looked just like the maxie manifolds. That might be a good solution for you. I don't know if he would sell you a set but it doesn't hurt to ask. They really did look good.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, now I'm thinking I might want a set haha

You know?
I think "Stock" exhaust manifolds are "way cool"
Personally, I believe the "Header Industry" has a good product.
Furthermore, since I was a small kid, I always knew of "Headers"
A "guy" just HAD TO HAVE THEM...period.
It was a statement. Hey: Johnny "W" from so and so put Headers on his 1966 Charger 383!
It meant the kid was willing to go the next step for performance.
And usually, installing Headers was an all day job back in the 60s and 70s.

Do I question my applications on both the 70 Bee with the Hemi AND the 63 Polara with the 440 build-up as a Maxie?
Sure I do.
Perhaps I was not strong enough in my principles...and by that I mean, just as I did 45 yrs ago..believing "WE" had to have Headers.
Yup, I kind of wish I put stock exhaust on the 70 Bee instead of the TTIs.
Oh well, next years project is coming into focus...LOL!

Be ready for some massive under hood heat.They were on that 64 Belvedere i had a couple years ago.Need a heat shield for the master cyl. or you'll be able to frie a egg on it,and make sure there are no wires within 6" of them.Also make sure the valve covers have fresh gaskets and dont leak cause once the manifolds are on with the crossram they are a pain in the a$$ to get at.

540 cubes......I wouldn't put manifolds of any kind on that. Think about this. Even the "stock" Max Wedges sped up with headers. You're talkin about 540 cubes with 11.5 compression and a .660 lift solid roller and you wanna run manifolds? That thing needs the absolutely freest flowing headers money can buy.

I'll second that!

Max Wedge manifods are going to hurt way more than help with that setup.

Be ready for some massive under hood heat.They were on that 64 Belvedere i had a couple years ago.Need a heat shield for the master cyl. or you'll be able to frie a egg on it,and make sure there are no wires within 6" of them.Also make sure the valve covers have fresh gaskets and dont leak cause once the manifolds are on with the crossram they are a pain in the a$$ to get at.

Heat shield for M/C and passenger side valve cover (they will fry the paint),no problem with wires if routed correctly.
View attachment 90357View attachment 90358

I wouldn't run the MW manifolds with that kind of engine;
But they look good, don't they!
There was someone on this forum that was advertising with fenderwellheaders; maybe that is a solution? Gives performance of a header, but also that '60s dragrace look ( IMO )
but dude..you will have a handfull with that engine.

Running a single resivoir master cylinder with a Max Wedge. Now THAT'S takin your life in your hands.

Running a single resivoir master cylinder with a Max Wedge. Now THAT'S takin your life in your hands.

Did you forget "all" the Max Wedge cars and early Race Hemi's had single reservior master cylinders ??

Ceramic coating reduces the heat quite a bit.
single reserviors - not so many cars on the highways back in the day But speed can kill!

- - - Updated - - -

I say you MAY lose 40 HP

I'm running TTIs

Very nice bee ..he is the guy to get ,that's for sure! (Jealous)
what did you get done? Ballpark spent?

Did you forget "all" the Max Wedge cars and early Race Hemi's had single reservior master cylinders ??

Nope, not at all. That's what I was talkin about. I had one on my 11 second Valiant....but not for long.

Hi, did you ever get your car back from the paint shop yet?

- - - Updated - - -

I say you MAY lose 40 HP

I'm running TTIs
did you get your car back from the paint shop yet?? Butch

I thank u all for your comments.I will buy a set of headers but since i already own the minifolds i think i will dyno with them just to see how much i lose,the engine builder has some junk headers we can compare. He says right around 650 horsepower with my setup i guess we will see.He also said my intake is also going to kill hp.I dont think he likes the whole setup, or gets the whole max wedge thing.But if i can get 650 hp or more i would be happy.

Hi, did you ever get your car back from the paint shop yet?

- - - Updated - - -

did you get your car back from the paint shop yet?? Butch
I went last week right before Thanksgiving.
He looked asahmed, said..."walk with me" He said he was sorry and he'd get on it.
I'm thinking all along, yeah right!
so, he said by Jan it will be done.
Meanwhile, I have started to look for other shops.
I even sent Bob Mosher a e-mail asking if he'd be interested.
I'm thinking now a "small claims court" case would be best.

- - - Updated - - -

Ceramic coating reduces the heat quite a bit.
single reserviors - not so many cars on the highways back in the day But speed can kill!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice bee ..he is the guy to get ,that's for sure! (Jealous)
what did you get done? Ballpark spent?

I cant quite remember, but I think $5K

Auto Transport Service
Back