• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max wedge hood scoop...

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post on 'For B Bodies Only' forum. Looks to be a great site and fantastic resource for all things regarding the intermediate MoPar. Great to be here.

I have a question regarding the Ramcharger / Max Wedge hood scoop for 63 64 Dodge Plymouths. I have a 64 Polara hardtop coupe with a flat hood. It's done up as a period correct super stock drag car complete with hand painted sign writting, cheater slicks, Stewart warner tach etc. I want to put a Max Wedge scoop on the hood but am a little confused as to which 'fibreglass' scoop to go for. I would appreciate some comments from people with experience. Take care.

If you can't get the help you need here, you might want to try the 1962-1965 Mopar site. There are a lot of guys on that site with Max Wedge cars.

Max wedge or ramcharger is acceptable for the look you are after. Go with what YOU like.

As you know these cars both have the max wedge scoops. The deal was all 63's were Max Wedges and used this scoop. 64's were both Max Wedges and Hemi's and the 64 Maxie's used this scoop and the Hemi's used the wider scoop with no dip in the middle. It's no law telling us we cant run a Hemi scoop on a Maxie car but most cars were like that back in the day. Ron

375382142.jpg

A Hemi hood

My 64 Sport Fury had the flat hood too. I went fiberglass lift off hood from some place in New York. Can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head but I think the Hemi hood looks a little nicer !!

64 Plymouth 012.jpg

Ron is correct. But be carefull, there are different types of Wedgie scoops out there. Not only quality but also the looks. I've seen some scoops that are higher...I don't know which ones are correct, but the picture that Ron posted looks correct to me.

Did you contact Kramer?

UNless you want to go with an original copy aluminum model ( which run about 1500. bucks) go with the Kramer model. They are the best I have seen and are exactly correct. DO NOT go with the high rise versions out there. They look stupid and were not used on the originals. Go to kramerauto.com and check them out.

I really dont care for the taller scoops some are using now. I like the original look. My scoop was given to me by a friend and it looks correct to me so I used it. Ron

kirbycruise.jpg

I just went through this with my max wedge clone car. Did a lot of research and comparing (about 6 months of looking & comparing ). Some of the scoops I looked at were terrible . I found LOTS of problems with the scoops out there. Among other problems, the biggest problem I found was the fit of the scoop when it's laying flat on your hood. I found that the cheaper the scoop, the more problems you''ll have with the over all fit. Some of them actually puckered the hood when you bolted them down. If your car is a nice race car, and you care how it looks, from what I've seen it' buyer BEWARE. I'm kind of picky. I'll save you a lot of time , I went with AAR fiberglass in Florida. It was the best fit, and it's the correct original size, and very nice quality. And believe me, I checked every dealer mentioned here, plus some. Of course , this is just my opinion.................

Thanks guys for your comments. CUDACOLLINS thanks for your recommendation, that's exactly the kind of thing I was after. I will contact AAR Fibreglass for one of their Max Wedge sccops.

I am working a 62 Fury Super Stock tribute car ... want to put a hood scoop on it. Thinking to go with hemi style scoop. Looking for a supplier that would best fit my stock hood? Thanx!

I am working a 62 Fury Super Stock tribute car ... want to put a hood scoop on it. Thinking to go with hemi style scoop. Looking for a supplier that would best fit my stock hood? Thanx!

Kramer makes really good scoops but if you want decent quality and cheaper cost I’d go with Sled City. Sled put studs into the fibreglass so you just drill the holes and drop it in. I have the sled city hemi scoop on my 64 Plymouth. Required a bit a tweaking but overall pretty good. In my opinion I’d go with the max wedge scoop on a 62 though.

bad pic but its a little bigger than stock I got it at spring fling here in the san fernando valley ca.

20170923_133532_023.jpg

I need to swap scoops too! old thread or not its awesome! I have the 68 SS hemi scoop. Needs a maxie

This is Larry at Sled City Fiberglass, and hood scoops are almost half our business. I have owned 2 aluminum nosed cars and a spare aluminum front end. I know what the scoops weaknesses are. There is a good reason for our no stress mounting system and I don't mind selling you your 2nd scoop after the others have blown off and the guy behind you just ran it over. We have 3 sizes of max wedge scoops and 5 sizes of Hemi scoops and shipping them out on a regular basis.

Auto Transport Service
Back