• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge Throttle Linkage Help Needed

Frustration

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help setting up the cross-ram linkage on our '63 Max Wedge Plymouth. Took the car apart to have the heads freshened up and am having trouble getting wide open throttle. I used the drill bit through the linkage and into the intake to get a starting point. Seems I can't get WOT without pulling the linkage off of the idle screw. Anyone have a factory service manual? Thanks in advance. BTW... I am using Eldebrock 750 Carbs.

Since the throttle levers on the Edelbrock carbs are different than the original MW carbs, you'll have to duplicate the levers to get the linkage ratio correct. IOW, the linkage attach points on the lever must be the same distance from the center of the throttle shaft as the original MW carb.

MW.jpg

I posted a question on fuel forum whether my afb's are correct, we guessed they probably are. Give me a few minutes and I can get dimensions from throttle shaft to mounting point of linkage . See pix in my post in fuel.

I eyeball measure 1.485 with a caliper. It's probably 1.500.
I agree with Dipstick, if you are off of the original dimension, you will probably run into exactly your problem.

20190130_113825.jpg

Thank you for the responses. We have two sets of carbs for this car. The Edelbrock 750's and an old set of Carter 750's. Both have shaft to mounting hole dimensions that are very close to 2.000". We've run this set up for years. I don't remember checking for WOT recently, but I know for sure it's been checked in the past. I'm wondering if we've had this problem for years and haven't realized it. Sounds like added ET when fixed! I also notice that the Carter carbs have multiple holes to mount the throttle rod. One of them is 1.500" away from the throttle shaft. When it warms up a bit next week, I plan to see if that works. If not, I'll likely buy the linkage kit from Mancini. Thank you for your help as always.

Don't know if it will help any, but if you click on my photo garage, you can see how my linkage is hooked up.
Carbs are Edelbrock 600 cfm. Read somewhere, for Mopars, a throttle adapter was needed...not on mine, didn't need or want it.

I operated on both my carbs, swapped the inlets side, and cut a lower part of the throttle arm, for clearance at the manifold. The linkage set I used is from Crossram Connection. Simply used linkage ball adapters, right on the existing throttle arms, and have full swing idle to WOT, a little room to spare.

Andy,

I am ready to pull the trigger on the cross ram setup you provided the link to. Will this set up work on a factory Stage II intake? I see in the description it says it's used on the Mopar Performance intake. Is there a centering pin hole to line up the linkage before set up like the factory stuff? If there are instructions, don't worry about the details. I'll see them when I get the kit. Thanks again. Tom

The instructions are on the website. Just click on the link then click on the kit you want and the instructions are there.

AR103 is no longer available?

Chuck (snook)
Dunno. Can't find it at Hughes, Mancini, or mazzolini. Not even Andy's own site.
I think I'd actually call Mancini on the phone, see what they say.....
Might have to buy stock maxwedge repop linkage, and modify the edelbrock carbs. (Need a hole 1 1/2" from throttle shaft.)

Thanks, I need to do some measuring... The geometry is wrong too, takes a lot of effort to mash the pedal to the floor.

Chuck (snook)

Thanks, I need to do some measuring... The geometry is wrong too, takes a lot of effort to mash the pedal to the floor.

Chuck (snook)
Heim joints on each end of the link bars helps a bunch. Fabrication time.
I haven't had much trouble. Using either 3705's or Carter competition afb's.
Edit: are you using 727 kickdown? I've got a full manual rmvb, so, no linkage.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll sort it all out when I get it back from the gear swap shop this week.

Chuck (snook)

Heim joints on each end of the link bars helps a bunch. Fabrication time.
I haven't had much trouble. Using either 3705's or Carter competition afb's.
Edit: are you using 727 kickdown? I've got a full manual rmvb, so, no linkage.
Nope on the kickdown, I'm using a RMVB too.

Thanks, Chuck (snook)

Finally got a workable solution on the throttle linkage issue. With the original 0.047" coil wire springs it was taking 20 pounds force to go full throttle. This resulted in a too heavy foot effort and I believe would have eventually resulted in causing throttle shaft wear and a leak. Not to mention that it was dangerous when rolling the car on the lift, throttle too jumpy. I eventually settled on a Dorman PN# 29005; package came with two 0.030 coil wire springs. This resulted in a nice easy travel from at rest to full throttle and a reduction in force to 10 pounds. You will have to form the ends from a circle loop to a hook style but that's an easy thing to do. Works for me.

Chuck (snook)

Auto Transport Service
Back