• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge Valve Stem Seals

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody know the correct valve stem seals to use on mopar performance 2406518-M reproduction max wedge heads? Original build lists Mahle B45403 and/or 45343 but Mahle stuff does not seem to be around any more? Rock Auto lists FelPro SS12419 for a 426 but they look different.

Thanks!

If you’re running a single spring, the umbrella seals used on 906’s will work fine, provided you have adequate retainer to seal clearance for the lift you’re running.

If you’re running dual springs, the guides will need to be machined to use seals with a smaller OD........ along with having the step that locates the spring cut down.

Pretty sure single springs unless the flat ones inside count? Forgive my ignorance I don't usually work on my own valvetrain stuff. The seals in there now appear to have the spring or springs around their diameter like the mahle ones do

IMG_6079.JPG

I wish I could find the original max wedge build bulletin. From my memory, they did not come with stem seals.
That being said, someone had put intake seals on my 286 heads. They appeared to be a standard type factory seal.

Premium silicone,spring loaded for single spring with dampener
Rock Auto, EngineTech #S2888

I have an original photo of MW head next to a stock head. Valve guides appear to be the same. I doubt the original heads would have used seals for racing.

Usually with cast manifolds gaskets aren't used.
Can't say about a Max Wedge.

Auto Transport Service
Back