• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May 4th 1970

oldbee

Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
My future wife was talking a co-worker home from work. She got stopped by police & barricades close to Kent State University. The co-worker had to call her mom to come down and pick her up.
When I heard of the situation later on, I kinda laughed. At that very day, I was at Camp Pendleton in California. Every Marine I talked to was in total agreement that we would have done the same thing the Nat’l Guard did that day.
Course, there’s a lot of testosterone flying around at a Marine Corps base at any specific time!
Let’s not move to the political forum, if possible.

Using rubber bullets incident ?

you know because of the subject it 'will go political'
or just get moved

My future wife was talking a co-worker home from work. She got stopped by police & barricades close to Kent State University. The co-worker had to call her mom to come down and pick her up.
When I heard of the situation later on, I kinda laughed. At that very day, I was at Camp Pendleton in California. Every Marine I talked to was in total agreement that we would have done the same thing the Nat’l Guard did that day.
Course, there’s a lot of testosterone flying around at a Marine Corps base at any specific time!
And the first Star Wars movie wasn't released until 7 years later. :D

l-just-bought-a-slow-cooker-heres-a-non-political-45805432.png

I remember May 4th 1970 very well. 4 dead in Ohio. 2 things I remember about that day is the news stated that this was the 1st time anyone was killed during all these college protests against the Viet Nam war and it always seemed to me that this event took the air out of the hippy movement. I was just finishing up my 4 year enlistment with the Navy at this time. With all the violence that was going on with these protests, I found it hard to believe that no other deaths occurred given the extreme emotions of that time.

Let's not forget those Guardsman were probably the same age as those college kids. Not a smart move trying to take out NG with rocks. Oh well don't bring a rock to a gunfight. I would have done the samething to keep from being killed, or injured. RLTW!

No rubber bullets, real ones!
Kent State riots, it was rubber bullets, from what I remember...

Unless there were more of them, I don't remember
that the National Gaurdsmen shot at the RIOTERS
anti-WAR anti-military anti-Nixon & extremist/aggressive activists
Insurrectionist/Violent/Rioters/Agitators/Anarchists douches...

it wasn't all peace & love

Paid professional trouble causer/agitators on megaphones
& student activists, RIOTERS, they were getting violent...
That is what I remember seeing
1 was only like 11y/o in 1970, but remember seeing it all over
the 3 channels 3 NBC, 5 CBS, 7 ABC,
(maybe channel 2 or ones on UHF 36 or 44, local SF/Oakland)
of the News we got back then, was all tilted left...

(I remember asking my mother if my Uncle Tink, Pete or Jim
all active in the military, if they would be their ?...
I didn't understand the difference between NG or reg. Military at that time
It was explained very well to me after that too...
I vividly remember she said; "No" with an irritated voice
"That they are over in VietNam fighting the spread of communism
risking their lives for the protesters' rights to express thier 'free speech"
or something like that, I think the word 'ingrates' or 'Hippies' was used too
)

Last edited:
I believe they were real bullets, not sure I ever heard of rubber bullets back then. The shooting incident took place after some fireworks were set off and members in the NG mistook the noise as gunfire. 4 students were shot and died, and rubber bullets don't kill, I think. The Crosby, Stills, and Nash group had a song put out quickly afterwards to capture the tragedy and the one line in the song used over and over is "4 dead in Ohio". Not a good day in American history.

Auto Transport Service
Back