• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe a question for hardcore Mopar enthusiast ?

pearljam724

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Are the original spare tires worth a lot ? I just got finished watching a video where a hardcore barn finder found a mint condition 1970 Chevelle Supersport survivor. He said, the original spare tire in that particular car is worth a lot of money. His exact comment was $1500. He said it was worth a lot because it was made by a company called General. That has been out of business for over 30 years and that particular tire, unlike others. Is not reproduced. Well, low and behold my car has the original spare. A General ! I understand something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. But, my question is. Have many of you serious enthusiasts heard or witnessed the same information that I stated above ? Particularly the tire being valuable from a 69 Coronet ?

I would could be worth money BUT a new un used spare.

I would have to say a tire never used. Is new ? Particularly, from a company that is no longer in existence. Judging by my tread, it’s never been used. I believe, it has to be the original rim too. I’ll add a pic tomorrow.

might be worth a few bucks to someone
but unless it is some rare e body space saver or 15in 450 rim or 15in h code rim
don't book your trip to Europe anytime soon..

might be worth a few bucks to someone
but unless it is some rare e body space saver or 15in 450 rim or 15in h code rim
don't book your trip to Europe anytime soon..
Europe ? For $1500 bucks they would have kicked me out the door about 1/3 of the way across the Atlantic, lol !

To the molar enthusiast it would be worth anything because it was not a factory original tire.......

Maybe for another manufacturer but you also have to factor in the actual date of the tire...

Europe ? For $1500 bucks they would have kicked me out the door about 1/3 of the way across the Atlantic, lol !
Off topic here, but on my last trip to Europe in 2017 I paid $420 for round trip airfare, and about $750 for a weeks stay in an apartment. So....well under $1500 for airfare and lodging.

As Justin stated, "General Tire Brand" was never a factory installed tire back in the day for the Mopar world. I am not even familiar with them being a factory installed tire to any of the big three automotive businesses. So much can happen to a car over the past 50 or so years that unless it has been a untouched sample, I would say that someone has replaced the tire. The second thing is the rim itself. Nice rims with good date codes and no pitting will be desirable, but unless it is a spare from say a factory Hemi car, then the value is only worth what you can get to that person looking for that particular wheel.

But to answer your question, correct date coded tires and wheels that falls within certain time frames will bring a good dollar. But those time windows are so tight, that it is almost like winning the Power Ball to find one of those pieces.

You never know until you look, but you can sometimes get lucky.

Here’s the video I watched. Part about spare tire starts at 7:40 mark.

I had a 1981 D250 that came with General tires from the factory

Auto Transport Service
Back