• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe...

miller

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
A update on my post..
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/what-the-heck-am-i-looking-at.156453/

Fingers crossed anyway.
Rebuilt my new Mallory dual point, changing the advance from the H type. Still won't start, but it will try to, firing off, but refuses to run. Checked everything, getting good bright white spark, and a crack on the plug I checked. Should mean the condenser is good, right?
But noticed, not much of a fuel shot from the Edelbrock 600cfm carbs. Re-read my above post.
Ordered two 1467 orange pumps, figuring the new Eddys has the blue ones.

Sooo, what I 'think' happened was two things. One, the condenser went out. Two, those pumps, with 800 miles on 'em, went south.

Spark plugs are carbon fouled, so changing them today. This afternoon, I'll have the new pumps, and will change them.

I lost a condenser on my Mallory dual point not long after the break-in. After researching them, it's a common problem. They're like a light bulb. Keep a spare. Mallory ones are the only ones that I have found that have a long lead on them. I bought two new ones and the one was bad. That doesn't help with diagnosis.

I also had the blue pumps in my 600s. Lasted about 100 miles before I started noticing a weak squirt in the rear carb. Replaced with the orange ones and haven't had any problems.

What do you mean by the H type vacuum advance? When setting my distributor up, I had to change the mechanical limit. That was easy enough. I have too much vacuum advance and have adjusted the can as far as it will go. It's still almost off the scale. Looks like they had different vacuum cans at one time with different ranges of advancement. This one must be for cams with less vacuum. I'm thinking about making a internal stop on it.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-29

What do you mean by the H type vacuum advance?
Enjoyed your build post, Kid, as a bunch of others did! Including the part on the Mallory set-up.

No on the H type 'vacuum' advance...mechanical advance type. I don't use vacuum advance, mine is mechanical only. The H bit has nothing to do with the vacuum advance.
Both of our's are now the L advance, since I picked up another Mallory (from a member), that had the L advance. Long story short, used my housing, and the guts from the other, including the mechanical advance parts, to build what I wanted. (H advance has the so-called new and improved advance...junk, at least to me!)

Mine is set for 15 initial, 20 advance, total 35.

Enjoyed your build post, Kid, as a bunch of others did! Including the part on the Mallory set-up.

No on the H type 'vacuum' advance...mechanical advance type. I don't use vacuum advance, mine is mechanical only. The H bit has nothing to do with the vacuum advance.
Both of our's are now the L advance, since I picked up another Mallory (from a member), that had the L advance. Long story short, used my housing, and the guts from the other, including the mechanical advance parts, to build what I wanted. (H advance has the so-called new and improved advance...junk, at least to me!)

Mine is set for 15 initial, 20 advance, total 35.

Gotcha! I should have re-read.

I tried running without vacuum advance a couple of times, tried ported and manifold. It doesn't like not having vacuum advance and it doesn't like manifold. I'll try no vacuum advance again and see if a different initial will work.

I have a slight shutter at 2,000 rpm (too much timing). Anything before or after it runs great. If you romp on it from idle, it goes right up to 4,000 rpm without any hesitation or dead spots. It's just when cruzing at 2000 rpm.

I've been running 18 and all in at 35 mechanical.

I have a slight shutter at 2,000 rpm (too much timing).
Slight shutter...hmm...can't say. Doesn't sound like point bounce.
Yeah, my history with vacuum advance isn't much. Really don't remember on my 63 (first car) Sport Fury w/Golden Commando 383. It had an aluminum body dual point Prestolite...but, don't remember if it had vacuum advance. Too many years gone. Man, that auto sure would run.
Haven't checked mine, hammer down, yet. Just got the inspection/registration done for the year.

Auto Transport Service
Back