• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mcguyver Style Antenna Hole Mute or Cover

Mr. Belvedere II

Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
Mr belvedere here again to share one of my little proud moments. Some time ago I installed a aftermarket Alpine stereo and in doing so also removed my wobbly old antenna and replaced it with a dash mounted antenna that literally is just a little 2.5" black rectangle that now serves as my am fm antenna, a beautiful thing, yes? That left me with one problem. The fender now had I big ol hole where my antenna once was. It occurred to me as I stared blankly at this new hole that it was just about the size of the hole that a faucet goes into in a stainless kitchen sink. My solution? I used the little plastic chrome sprayer mute for when a faucet doesn't come with a sprayer!
It has a nice little foam rubber gasket on the bottom and was a perfect fit! I reached under the wheel well to tighten the nut and never looked back! The thing cost under 5beans from the Deepts! One of my prouder moments indeed..

image.png

Mr belvedere here again to share one of my little proud moments. Some time ago I installed a aftermarket Alpine stereo and in doing so also removed my wobbly old antenna and replaced it with a dash mounted antenna that literally is just a little 2.5" black rectangle that now serves as my am fm antenna, a beautiful thing, yes? That left me with one problem. The fender now had I big ol hole where my antenna once was. It occurred to me as I stared blankly at this new hole that it was just about the size of the hole that a faucet goes into in a stainless kitchen sink. My solution? I used the little plastic chrome sprayer mute for when a faucet doesn't come with a sprayer!
It has a nice little foam rubber gasket on the bottom and was a perfect fit! I reached under the wheel well to tighten the nut and never looked back! The thing cost under 5beans from the Deepts! One of my prouder moments indeed..

View attachment 407077
Now that is a timely post for me! I been debating on getting a flush mount antenna or using a hidden antenna like yours . I was going to decide and order tomorrow. Didn't know what to do about the hole unless using a plastic hole plug. Do you think the hidden will get as good reception as the outside regular?.....................MO

I have had pretty decent reception all around, and it just sits atop the dash hidden up in the corner near the windshield on the passenger side. I like it quite a lot! I haven't noticed any difference in reception from my old outside one. I'll post a couple pics of both the hole cover and the antenna tomorrow for ya

I removed the antenna from my 69 cuda but used a stainless bumper bolt with the base antenna chrome angle washer

000_4766.JPG

I have had pretty decent reception all around, and it just sits atop the dash hidden up in the corner near the windshield on the passenger side. I like it quite a lot! I haven't noticed any difference in reception from my old outside one. I'll post a couple pics of both the hole cover and the antenna tomorrow for ya
I had thought up inside under the dash.. but, all that metal surrounding it would probably cut the signal down Does yours antenna have the "signal booster" that you run electricity to?......................MO

I had thought up inside under the dash.. but, all that metal surrounding it would probably cut the signal down Does yours antenna have the "signal booster" that you run electricity to?......................MO

Not too sure I can't remember but I got the one from summit I think I'll look at it tonight to see if I can tell

My good friend who is an electrician showed me these plugs for electrical panels. I've used them to plug holes in the firewall. They come in sizes from 3/4 to 4 inches. They have a smooth beveled edge, a rubber gasket and are metal so you can paint them to match.

Plug.JPG

When I did my last charger I welded the hole up for the antenna. I then took the antenna wire and striped it back to bare wires then soldered them to a coat hanger I ran it up may a pillar ageist the metal I got great reception and it cost me nothing. No pictures sadly of my setup

I ran the wire up and out of the vent which I have nothing connected to, actually, but that's how I did it. And I think this one from Summit is the one I have and if not it's pretty much the same.

image.jpeg image.png

When I did my last charger I welded the hole up for the antenna. I then took the antenna wire and striped it back to bare wires then soldered them to a coat hanger I ran it up may a pillar ageist the metal I got great reception and it cost me nothing. No pictures sadly of my setup
Lol that is an awesome idea! Nicely done! I love that kind of ingenuity!!

It worked great even in a parking garage ,out in the boonys,and under a bridge

And as for the plug hole I cut out a small piece of metal from every bad fender I get and set it aside with the year wrote on it . So I don't have to make the curve bend again sadly I don't have anymore left so I need to fab one for my 72 rallye project I will take pictures this time for a how to getto rig a free hide-a antenna

And as for the plug hole I cut out a small piece of metal from every bad fender I get and set it aside with the year wrote on it . So I don't have to make the curve bend again sadly I don't have anymore left so I need to fab one for my 72 rallye project I will take pictures this time for a how to getto rig a free hide-a antenna
Definitely do! It's a great idea and should be shared !

My good friend who is an electrician showed me these plugs for electrical panels. I've used them to plug holes in the firewall. They come in sizes from 3/4 to 4 inches. They have a smooth beveled edge, a rubber gasket and are metal so you can paint them to match.

View attachment 407269

Yep, you can get them in stainless or painted steel and even plastic. They are call NEMA 4 (&4X) or water tight KO (knockout) fillers.

Auto Transport Service
Back