• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Media blasters - anyone doing this at home? What blaster?

Hemirunner

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
What blaster are you guys using at home for bigger work like a car on a rotisserie?? What media??

funny, i was getting ready to start a thread like this, got a recent quote from the local blaster for 3000$ to do my car, and they wanted it to come on dollies, no suspention. which is kinda of pain in the ***, even though its the right way, i told them the under side dint bother me so much...they said we would remove it anyway to help us make it nice, and charge you the R&R for the rear axle...whatever...too much for something i can do myself if i just get less lazy.

i was looking at the Eastwood media blaster kits a couple of years ago, looked at them again just now...169$ for a larger tank.

looks like that is my next purchase.

try Brut san co in Canfield Ohio I have a presser blaster form them for the last 25 years. get a carbide tip with it. it has lasted me for @ 16+ years they vary in price depending on size mine holds approx. 80# of media. I use a product called Black diamond or it's called by another name in other part of the country. it's a slag product. it cuts better than sand. at tractor supply it's about $9.00 a bag if you have an area to put a large tarp down and save /recycle the media with a screen for the blaster good luck

I use Eastwoods media blaster, i only bought the 50 pd capacity one but they have larger, My air compressor is small but if i had one that would keep up with 90 PSI contiuely i swear i would tackle a car on the rotisserie...

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html

EASTWOOD.jpg

CFM, CFM, CFM.

If your compressor can't put out over 20 CFM I wouldn't even try.

My big one is 32 CFM and it runs all the time I'm blasting.

My small one is 8.5 CFM and it's good for a bracket but not a battery tray.

I have one identical to yours, Ron. Mine came from my warehouse tool supplier. I do use the Black Diamond media from Tractor Supply. I only paid $7.50 a bag for it around here. Works real well. I recently blasted the GTS from the windshield forward so I can restore the engine bay and suspension. I don't recover any material,. I just sweep it downhill, off the driveway.

CFM, CFM, CFM.

If your compressor can't put out over 20 CFM I wouldn't even try.

My big one is 32 CFM and it runs all the time I'm blasting.

My small one is 8.5 CFM and it's good for a bracket but not a battery tray.
I have a 5hp, two stage, pressure lubricated quincy that's right at or just below 20 cfm. It'll get the job done. I'll be blasting this one in sections.

- - - Updated - - -

try Brut san co in Canfield Ohio I have a presser blaster form them for the last 25 years. get a carbide tip with it. it has lasted me for @ 16+ years they vary in price depending on size mine holds approx. 80# of media. I use a product called Black diamond or it's called by another name in other part of the country. it's a slag product. it cuts better than sand. at tractor supply it's about $9.00 a bag if you have an area to put a large tarp down and save /recycle the media with a screen for the blaster good luck
Those look well built and I like the fact that they sell all the replacement parts. USA made is a plus.

The Eastwood pressure pot blaster is the same as Harbor Freight, but the HF is cheaper!

I use Eastwoods media blaster, i only bought the 50 pd capacity one but they have larger, My air compressor is small but if i had one that would keep up with 90 PSI contiuely i swear i would tackle a car on the rotisserie...

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html

View attachment 233223

The Eastwood pressure pot blaster is the same as Harbor Freight, but the HF is cheaper!
Yup....I have the same one and the made in China hoses showed signs of rot in less than 2 years and yes, it stays inside.

Don't do sheetmetal with one. I ruined a 69 Dart swinger hood a number of years ago not knowing what would happen.

Don't do sheetmetal with one. I ruined a 69 Dart swinger hood a number of years ago not knowing what would happen.
I nearly ruined a 70RR Airgrabber hood with one, so I've been down that road...

I have the 100lb pot blaster and it works great as long as you have sufficient cfm's !! Also I use soda as blast media a little pricey but you will have no issues with heat or metal worping ! Also have a blast cabinet that I use the diamond media in works great for the small stuff !!:headbang:

I did a quarter panel with the Harbor Freight model and it worked good. At the time my small compressor wouldn't keep up so I used a 100 gallon tank. Took the compressor a good while to fill that up but it was good enough to blast for several minutes at a time and no warping...

Mine:

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 668
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 651
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 662
That's the exact one I used to have. I couldn't find that company anywhere on the web.

There is a place in my area that I called and he said that he'd do my car (roller) for $800.00 and if I wanted he'd primer it too for a total of $1500 for all. He uses soft plastic media and says it will not warp anything.He said sand is the worst thing you can use and he's been doing this kind of work for years,so it makes since that us novices wouldn't know any better about what kind of media to use on our cars ,I guess most people just think sand is the way to go until they destroy something and learn the hard way ,anyway I thought $1500 to media blast and prime the car and have it back in three days is a great price,what do you guys think?

The guy in Tennesse if it's the same one I know in Knoxville, he's good people, and he runs a good operation. The Dustless system indicated above isn't getting clean the areas you really need to get clean; behind the glass and in the channel, and under the qtr panels which gives better access to areas hidden and often rotted. I'm seeing the reality of very little consideration in saving panels that can be replaced; Qtr panels, etc as it's always best to change them out and allow your blaster to get to the inside structure. CFM, you guys are playing in the 'sandbox' (no pun intended) but, I'm running nearly 200CFM. This is why media blasting is not cheap and not for your driveway. If you have not learned this yet, I assure you, you will, but, your wife may learn this before you do! lol! Hoods and some Deck Lids are the holy grail to do right and not mess them up. The most challenging...and I have turned down doing before is the 68/69 RR Hoods, if these have rust and holes, I'll try to get them to pursue a different avenue. I'd rather not take your money for something I know is junk before blasting. The rear differential blasting like that -- a complete assembled unit -- you will get sand or whatever you're using inside the differential. I've deliberately run this test, taken a Corvette rear end complete and blast it, then take it to the Rear end shop for the pre-planned re-gearing it, with them paying close attention to blasting media residue in the differential housing, and, sure enough, it's in there. I never blast any differentials now if they're all together. Bottom line, good luck on your blasting party's!

Auto Transport Service
Back