• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal vs Wood Garage ? What would u do?

Jesse6869

Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
Knowing what u know now what would u do and why? I’ve was looking to sell my house and by a house with acres in California to build my garage. After 2years of looking and fires here in Solano county I would cost me a premium for insurance and I would need put a large down and or sell my house or rent it out and I’m close to paying off, and I was not loving the idea.

So I bought a house with 2.5 acres in Nevada 2 1/2 hours away its close. Now I can keep both houses and have a second home and build what I want.

The garage I want it to be 35’ to 40’ depth 4 car garage multiple doors not sure on length work shop area I have a mid car lift I want a full hight lift maybe 4 post lift. I’m amateur welder I want to paint couple cars. Basically have fun with it all.

I have a 69 charger I’m redoing everything , now I’m ready to paint it , 68 charger, 69 valiant, 68 valiant, 69 barracuda and looking still for more projects
There’s a 30’x60’ metal garage on it at some point make it a spray booth?

So metal vs wood garage metal is cheaper u have condensation, and heating it? more bang for your buck but it gets cold in Nevada
Wood easy to insulate more flexibility in design COST is way higher .

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated .thank u in advance Jesse

The shop/garage I rent is metal...it's cold and when it's wet or windy it it's loud too! If I built for myself would be wood for me....or better still (funds permitting) double layer brick/block to allow cavity insulation....but it's probably colder here I guess.

Sounds like you’re interested in functionality only, go metal. If you care about aesthetics then go wood.

Both, I don’t want it to look commercial but to have functionality and blend close to the landscape.

Some metal buildings look very commercial/industrial, but what about these?

thumbnailservice.jpeg
thumbnailservice (1).jpeg

The red one above, but with a 14' tall wall would have cost me $22 per square foot in 2018; and is insulated. Electrical and HVAC is extra. Steel prices went up in 2018.

Yes that’s the idea and what I’m looking into, but what I’m really looking for is what u have, likes a and dislikes and what if u could do it again would do different and or not change a thing. All advise and ideas are greatly appreciated. And pictures of what u have also would be helpful.

I built my shop with all metal 20x25 with the plan of it being a paint booth.
Looking back at it now I would have saved time and money using a wood frame. As for it being a paint booth after I got finished it was too nice to have paint spray all over everything so
I bought an inflatable paint booth which I would strongly recommend because it cost less than what it would have to buy vent fans for the shop I built hope this helps

Can u send more picks of the booth if u have them and what’s the cost of that booth. Ventilation in the booth I’m assuming.

I have built both. Found the metal one to be best.
Take some time and look at every option you want and what you may need in the future.
I installed one drive through which I really like.
20 ft tall with I beams for overhead crane, spray on insulation
Heated floor and AC

Why did u prefer the metal over wood ? Also what about cost difference do u know what it would have been around?

Wood burns when grinding/torching.

This is just plain paranoia. Sure wood burns - if you hold a torch directly on it for a few minutes, but sparks won't do **** unless you're dumb enough to leave something like an oil-soaked rag in the direct path of sparks. And most guys would insulate between the studs and then drywall the interior - which is pretty much flame proof.

I bought an inflatable paint booth which I would strongly recommend because it cost less than what it would have to buy vent fans for the shop I built

These are fine for a single quick splash job BUT what happens when you deflate it? being plastic there's going to be a lot of static and any dust or overspray is going to get on the walls and ceiling and fall into your next job.

The price of the booth was right at 1k
I have not had any problem with dust or overspray if I do I can pressure wash it or buy another one and still come out cheaper than building a booth.
It has positive ventilation with filtered air intake and exhaust. The only complaints is it’s super hot in the sun and lightning. I do worry that the power will go out while I’m painting but I made light stands that will support it if it falls. To date I’ve done 5 good size jobs in it.

When I was looking at property I was also looking at buildings.. (Guy Thing) after looking at allot of designs I settled on metal 30x70 (2100 SF) four roll up doors on the long side... I planned to put dividing walls so there would be a paint area at one end, a section for my lift & mechanical repair plus my lathe & mill... then a larger area for finished cars....

As far as metal vs wood, I see no reason to even consider wood... As far as looking to industrial, a little faux brick or lap siding can totally change how a metal building looks...

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 9.03.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 9.07.02 AM.png

In the end I decided to pay off my current house & reduce expenses.... Since this plandemic hit I basically haven't worked so turns out I made the right choice... I mean I would have been fine but the stress would have sucked....

Yes that is correct, I want to make all the best decisions size, insulation/ heating, lifts, user friendly, looks good, loft no loft-this will be my chance to build what I want how I want. And everyone here has had something done some how some way. What about and RV garage attached ceiling height. This is my first attempt and only attempt just want to make it right.

Metal building with hot water radiant heat/Pex tubing in the floor. efficient, warm,
no dust blowing around. Insulate the snot out of it. LED lights.

Auto Transport Service
Back