• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MH engine removal

sam dupont

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Didn't find any info with my searches, but sometimes a very exact thing must be typed in.

Bought a 1973 steel crank motor home engine, now I have to pop it out. I assume it is that easy. My buddy I got it from said we could rig up a pole on a tractor loader and tear the door hole bigger if we needed. It is a couple hours away, so I thought I would ask how others have done it. With trans (shot, that's why it got parked) or without the trans? I know it is a Dodge 2 ton truck chassis, so removal should be straight forward. Famous last words... I plan to take the motor mounts loose from the frame as I might use them or sell them if I don't need them. Anything else to grab? It's not going anywhere, so I can go back. it's a camper parked at one of their stock dams. I'm planning to do as much as I can, regroup with the tools I didn't bring the first time, and go back as many times as it takes. There is no power where it is parked, but I have a selection of battery tools.
I'm going to take my camera in case somebody is curious.

Last edited:
These guys filmed a documentary that should cover it :lol:

14 minute mark is where they get to extracting.

I used the pole chained to the bucket of a tractor. And the tractors rear wheels kept lifting off the ground. So I unbolted the trans and it still lifted the rear wheels. So we just dragged it out the front with help of some pry bars and dropped it out the front and lowered the bucket at that time so the tractor wouldn't tip over. It was on uneven ground. And If the owner let me, I would have torched the bumper and cross frame /radiator support out of my way which would have helped a bunch ..and definitely get everything off the engine. Mine had rusty headers which didn't help. And it was like yours 73 steel crank 440. A pain to remove but it was $free$.

In my mind I see an old Farmall with a Farmhand loader and a big bucket. Been there, good times... If I don't break it, I like the window idea as it wouldn't mess up the door of the "cabin".
I was at a Winnebago site and the VIN chart I copied showed 440, 413, and 361 for 1973. Didn't know they were still making a 361 in 73.

Last edited:
Passenger side, with a junkyard chain hoist.
Pull the seat out and strip as much off the engine as you can. I remember having to notch the sheetmetal at the top of the bellhousing area for extra clearance, 60 seconds with the cordless sawzall.
This one took me a few hours but it was a hot day and I was by myself..
20200214_144317.jpg

It's an A body with no driver's door.

I love that stuff... but I want to leave it usable as a parked fishing camper. Out the front might be best as the dog house would seal the massive hole.

Yeah, the "class" part just wasn't coming to this old brain. A Body could be confusing on a Mopar site.

Sorry you have to save the body / shell.
We took a back hoe and cleared the deck on a 72 winne . Pretty good access at that point

In my mind I see an old Farmall with a Farmhand loader and a big bucket. Been there, good times... If I don't break it, I like the window idea as it wouldn't mess up the door of the "cabin".
I was at a Winnebago site and the VIN chart I copied showed 440, 413, and 361 for 1973. Didn't know they were still making a 361 in 73.
When I worked at MODoT back in the 70s we got two new D600s with 361-2s in me. Btw, they had angle plug heads like LAs.
Edit to add...they were 75 models.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back