• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mickey Thompson Lives On!

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, that is an impressive machine, I hope they get 450... Man, that is damn fast!

That's pretty neat. I remember finding in the school library "Challenger: Mickey Thompson's own story of his life of speed" and reading about his drag racing and land speed exploits. I don't agree with all of his theories ( he used Pontiac engines in the Challenger because the though Chrysler hemis had a weak bottom end) but he had a great career and ethos, dismissing engineers and physicists who thought he'd fail, and just using his instinct and common sense to get the job done.

It took too long for his murderer to be brought to justice but at least it finally happened.

Good luck to his son...

Really ? I wasn't aware they had solved the case. Good deal, family can get some relief now.

cool videos thanks for sharing,

my step father Bob knew him, from the early 60's- early 70's
from running around with the Pontiac Crowd/Circles from the 60's Calif./West Coast drag racing,
he lost contact with him over some falling out of some kind,
I was in my early teens when they parted ways...

- - - Updated - - -

there were a ton of rumors, most always speculations about his death/murder,
I'm not sure/I can't really remember,
But I don't think murder charges were ever brought down, or it was reduced maybe,
I think it was conspiracy or racketeering charges/indictments or something like that IIRC,
something allegedly about his Stadium Truck Series finances
& ties to the wrong types of people or something along those lines...

RIP Mickey

Good Luck Danny, 450mph or bust, I hope he gets closer to 500mph

I was with Norm Thatcher at Bonneville when Mickey was running the 4 Pontiacs, their garage was next to ours. Then I was at Riverside International Raceway with my welding truck for the offroad races when Mickey was running a Chevy V8 in the open classes against the Volkswagen engines. I welded on Mickey's racer that day and he still owes me $60 for the welding.

I guess that means in some way even I'm contributing to the lastest effort.

Hey IQ52, maybe you can get your name painted on the Challenger 2.5 as payment. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back