Microsoft locked me out of some of my computer functions. WTF??

Big Bad Dad

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
So, I have owned my computer for probably 8 or 9 years now. Or at least, I thought I did. Suddenly, I cannot use the Word document functions. Cannot write anything, or edit or add to, any of my saved stuff. Microsoft has locked them, and now says I must pay a monthly fee to use them. WHAT?? I thought that was part of the machine I purchased! So, has anyone else ran into this? Is it legit, or am I the victim of a hacker or scam?

Sam69sat

Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score

slepr1

Local time
Reaction score
Yes Microsoft moved some of their software to payware. But only on certain programs they make. Regular computer stuff isn't so if you have other issues then its a computer problem.

sam dupont

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
I would pay one month of extortion fees and move everything to a Mac... or something. I wouldn't trash it though, when enough people drop them, they will stop the practice.

copper67sat

Local time
Reaction score
I had something similar happen several months back. I purchased Microsoft Office through my work at a discount - I think it's Office 2013. Suddenly they started sending me warnings that my account was overdue and I had to pay a monthly fee for licensed software I had already purchased! I was starting to reesearch the issue and file a complaint with MS when the warnings stopped and functionality restored. Don't know why.

New versions of Office are subscription only so I think they are confusing purchasers of old versions with new subscribers, but can't say for sure. Hope you are able to resolve it or switch to one of the free ones others posted.

Hikin Mike

Local time
Reaction score
Yep, I quit using Microsoft products years ago. I used OpenOffice for a while and recently switched to Libre.

YY1

Local time
Reaction score
Google "drive" also has decent document and spreadsheet functions.

The main problem with using something else is if you ever get 'official documents in MS xxxX format, you can get screwed opening with a converter program.

MS started the "subscription" service with "office 365" just about that 8 year ago time frame.
For a while you could choose which way to go. IIRC 2016 was the last stand alone version option.
I believe users were also offered a choice to migrate to "365" around the same time.
I pity the fools that chose that option and are now forced to pay by the month.

At work we are still using 2013.

At home, I believe I'm still using 2010, or the first version that supports "docX" format.
If they ever change that default standard, I'm screwed.

I'd suggest the OP verify his version.

HemiLane

Local time
Reaction score
You have a virus/malware. I work in IT and MS never locks down the older versions or requires subscriptions, you just would not have any updates available when they stop supporting it. Run an anti-malware program like Malware Bytes, they have a free version.

YY1

Local time
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.