• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milodon oil pan drain plug issue

Mheiron

Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
Good morning gents, hope y'all had a great 4th!

Has anyone dealt with this before? Its a 6.2l Hellcrate motor with a rear sump, Milodon oil pan. The engine plate and bell housing are to the left in the photo.

Dran-Plug-Issue.jpg

There is not enough clearance between the oil pan and engine plate to remove or insert the drain plug. I think its a poorly considered design by Milodon. The drain could be straight out the bottom. I tried cutting threads off a non-magnetic plug but its really short at 3-4 threads. I'm off to Lowes to see if a brass elbow might work but then its just an NPT thread with no o-ring.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Looks like a bad place to put a drain plug to me! It should be on the bottom so all the oil drains out. But then there might be a ground clearance issue.? Can you get the same pan with the drain plug in a different location?

I would contact Milodon and ask them what they were thinking when they designed it. Apparently they didn’t mock it up with an engine to see if it would work. Modification of the pan could void any warranty. Could the engine plate be notched to allow for clearance?

Just modify the plate and bell. No doubt the maker of the bell and engine plate had no concern for the oil drain. More of the blame goes there than at Milodon.

Good morning gents, hope y'all had a great 4th!

Has anyone dealt with this before? Its a 6.2l Hellcrate motor with a rear sump, Milodon oil pan. The engine plate and bell housing are to the left in the photo.

View attachment 1134408

There is not enough clearance between the oil pan and engine plate to remove or insert the drain plug. I think its a poorly considered design by Milodon. The drain could be straight out the bottom. I tried cutting threads off a non-magnetic plug but its really short at 3-4 threads. I'm off to Lowes to see if a brass elbow might work but then its just an NPT thread with no o-ring.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Your drain threads are not pipe threads.

SFI motot plate and scattershield that you cant legally modify? Leave the stock plug in place, and add a bung to the side of the sump. Otherwise, i would hole saw clearance.
Milodon probably didnt put a drainplug on the bottom because they didnt want it ripped off by a speed bump.
I wouldnt want a drainplug on the bottom of a deep sump pan. I have three deep pans, none has a bottom plug.

To close out the thread,

We welded in a new drain plug and replated the pan with silver cadmium which looks much nicer on these motors.

9E4A2A7B-AAA9-445E-A730-0904246D211B.jpeg 53DC23F1-9705-465F-86AD-F8CA4B3C74E8.jpeg 50E0EC92-8D6F-4704-86A2-A104046B94B8.jpeg FDB49A59-0E59-450C-8371-1C246B0843FF.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back