• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milodon pan...gasket?

YY1

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
I picked up a Milodon "car" oil pan for my 440 at Garlits.

I thought I was getting a good deal at $40...but I just found out they require Milodon's own gasket.

A- is this true? You can't make a "regular" gasket work?

B- is it a good thing? I don't recall issues with factory style gaskets in the past.

C- any other gotchas? pickup tube maybe?

This is the pan that looks just like a "402" pan, but with baffles.

Thanks.

You can use any gasket you want on a Milodon pan. FelPro work great just using some Gaskacinch or coppercoat to hold it in place on the pan. If you're using a windage tray, rather than mess with two gaskets (top & bottom), I recently used a Jeg's windage tray with the built in 'o' ring seals and it works really slick. Composite and reusable. Neat.

I put on a Milodon pan but had to use one of their pick up tubes. It was just a stock replacement but the factory pick up wouldnt work.

Stock 402 pans have baffles too

I'm thinking about using this gasket myself.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/502000/10002/-1

but it's expensive at $77 bucks. Anyone want buy some original wind-age trays?

555-502001_5.jpg

I do, its going to have clearence for a 4.15 stroke crank
Rich

I bought one of those plastic one piece gasket/windage trays from Jegs. The accidently shipped several out that were all for STOCK STROKE. My engine has a 4.15 crank. I was not pleased.

THats a Neat part for sure ! Do thay make it for a stroker RB ?

A 4.15 stroke is the biggest they go for their windage tray.

Will a bottom end girdle lift the stock windage tray far enough off the original pan rail to clear a 4.25" stroke (512 CI). The girdle is .250". A stock crank is 3.75" which means that it effectively adds .250" to the crank radius to get the full additional .500" stroke for a 4.25 stroke. Theoretically, the added thickness of the girdle should make a stock windage tray work....correct????

The numbers say yes but test with out gasket and check clearance

Auto Transport Service
Back