• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter

tyallis

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a factory Denso unit out of a 2001 pickup to install in my 440 powered Coronet. Since it's modern trigger wire connector cannot be removed, I am thinking of adapting my cars wire to snap into this plug for easier hook-up. Any recommendations on where to find a female connector and corresponding pin? Blindly scanning Google has not yet led me to the promise-land. Thanks

IMG_4540.jpg IMG_4541.jpg IMG_4542.jpg

You should have had it clipped from the pigtail of the truck it came out of. Looks like a spade connector in there if you’re not worried about the weather pack. Also, good luck with clearance on a big block. You’ll need to trim that power stud and get a thin nut. Even then it’ll be close.

You should have had it clipped from the pigtail of the truck it came out of. Looks like a spade connector in there if you’re not worried about the weather pack. Also, good luck with clearance on a big block. You’ll need to trim that power stud and get a thin nut. Even then it’ll be close.

The car has a parts store mini starter in it now; fits just fine (other than being shot after a few years). I’ll make sure to compare the studs for clearance before I go slapping it in. Thanks for the heads up.

Didn't have to cut stud my 66 harness fit studs fine. Took mirror after install to look at main stud clearance, had 1/4". That said one manufacturer maybe different than another. Couldn't put weather shield on I don't drive my car in crappy weather.

I have a mini out of a 2001 dodge 318 van same as the original one posted I adapted the small wire and cut some off the big stud for clearance.

I have a mini out of a 2001 dodge 318 van same as the original one posted I adapted the small wire and cut some off the big stud for clearance.
Good news; thanks. How did u adapt the relay wire? Did u use the pigtail off the van? Or crimp on a whole new female connector? Installed on an RB I’m assuming?

eBay has some, $12 or so. Just searched 2001 Dodge Ram starter pigtail and they came up

eBay has some, $12 or so. Just searched 2001 Dodge Ram starter pigtail and they came up

Interesting. Would you happen to have a link? I’m not coming up with much on my end?? Thanks in advance.

Good news; thanks. How did u adapt the relay wire? Did u use the pigtail off the van? Or crimp on a whole new female connector? Installed on an RB I’m assuming?
I just used a butt splice and it works without issue.

Put me down as another running the "Dakota" factory starter with no issues. Used the cars' original
wiring, no need to shave the positive stud.
It was a rebuilt "lifetime" from a box parts store, nothing special. 10 years and working, knock wood. :thumbsup:

Put me down as another running the "Dakota" factory starter with no issues. Used the cars' original
It was a rebuilt "lifetime" from a box parts store, nothing special. 10 years and working, knock wood. :thumbsup:
I must have had an oddball starter because the stud did indeed hit the edge of the freeze plug hole. I took maybe a 1/4 inch of that post. Left the nut on so I could chase the threads.

I must have had an oddball starter because the stud did indeed hit the edge of the freeze plug hole. I took maybe a 1/4 inch of that post. Left the nut on so I could chase the threads.

The reman starters from the parts store have short studs for both the battery cable and trigger wire. My 440 has one installed now that came from O’reilly’s about 3 years ago. It’s shot now, and instead of replacing it with the same thing, I thought I’d give a factory Chrysler one a whorl. This is why we’ve got the weather-pack plug on our starters. Fingers crossed.

The reman starters from the parts store have short studs for both the battery cable and trigger wire. My 440 has one installed now that came from O’reilly’s about 3 years ago. It’s shot now, and instead of replacing it with the same thing, I thought I’d give a factory Chrysler one a whorl. This is why we’ve got the weather-pack plug on our starters. Fingers crossed.
Yep on the remans - and the other part of that equation is Lord only knows how many times some of these
units have been "remanned", too - which means a former owner before me could've been a hackin' on the
studs in an earlier life, too.
I'd about bet if they did, the reman company didn't even notice - or care.

If you shop carefully, you can find new starters for the same or less than the cost of the remans (of course-quality varies). While I don't have qualms about using salvage yard pieces, you don't really know if the part you are pulling is OE Mopar or a reman/aftermarket starter. Also, you don't really need the terminal extension sets, they just let you bolt up the starter without connecting the wires first.
Jus' sayin'....

I picked up a factory Denso unit out of a 2001 pickup to install in my 440 powered Coronet. Since it's modern trigger wire connector cannot be removed, I am thinking of adapting my cars wire to snap into this plug for easier hook-up. Any recommendations on where to find a female connector and corresponding pin? Blindly scanning Google has not yet led me to the promise-land. Thanks

View attachment 971709 View attachment 971710 View attachment 971711
I used a female spade terminal made for a car radio speaker.

Auto Transport Service
Back