• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter

Vanderstel

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a mini starter? 67 Satellite 318 & 727, hope to have headers. I've searched the forum's for "mini starter" and nothing comes back.

Are they worth it? Clearance, ease of installation that sort of thing? I thought I recall something about a Dakota part number that would work...

I got one at Napa, works great. Only issue I had was I needed to lengthen the wires to the starter due to its size.

I got one for a 92 Dakota V-6 (V-8 is same). Others claim that up to and beyond 96 are also the same. It is a better starter (IMHO) than the OE (old) ones. It is also about 15ish pounds lighter-bonus.
jus sayin....

The replacement starter I got from Pepboys for my '69 Satellite was a mini starter, I doubt anyone stocks a full size one anymore. I've had no issues with it.

I got one from NAPA had to remove a cover and remove an extension for the wires. No big deal, just check main stud does hit block before connecting battery.
starter NAPA.jpg

Yep, I got em on all my stuff! I;ve been using the Summit Racing ones, but as others said, the NAPA replacement is good too! Just watch the main stud on the block! ruffcut

I've been reading everyone's posts on this subject and a bought a Nippon Denso mini-starter
because of their quality and 40:1 ratio. Model number is 128000-7810. Haven't used it yet, but
I hear they're all the rage!

Got a Denso on my Belvedere for about a dozen years now, always worked perfect. Same deal with the connections, check for clearance.

I have one on my wagon I pulled off a '90's van in the JY about 15 yrs ago. Van had high mileage and had been used and abused. When I unbolted it from the engine, the starter had no 'shape', it was just a big glob of old oil and grease with two wires sticking out of it. Took it home, cleaned it up and installed it. Had to remove a bolted on extension for the wires, but other than that, it fit the 440 perfect. Despite being a high mileage piece, it has never given me any issues. As much as I miss the traditional sound, you can't beat how quick it starts now.

I put one on the Bee last year and I love it ,its worth it all day long.

Auto Transport Service
Back