• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini-tub ... about to make the big cut !!

gkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
So in a previous post I was asking for input and photos and man, did I look at a lot. I've decided against using the US Car Tool kit - I just don't think its worth the money. I've also formulated some thoughts and plans and spent a lot of time measuring.

It seems the biggest mistake anyone makes is not cutting the tubs a) square and b) on a flat part of the tub. This means that if you shear a straight filler piece it just won't fit, resulting in having to use multiple pieces.

So I spent a lot of time with a digital level to ensure where my cut is is flat around the whole tub and is straight and square all the way around. I guess we'll see! Here are some shots. All the spot welds are drilled out and I'm ready to cut the tubs. If you see any issues, PLEASE TELL ME NOW.

I started at the top of the tub and determined I wanted to be 3/4" from the seam. I marked that then used an old bandsaw blade as my guide. Pushing it up into the tub and clamping the ends at the bottom held it tight to the tub but still allowed me to move it as necessary. It also gave me an edge to hold my level against. When I figured I was close I clamped a rod at the bottom two points then checked for level again. As long as I can stay on the line when I cut I should be good to go. I'm going to step over at the lower fronts to avoid going into the rocker reinforcements.
DSCF4700.JPG
DSCF4702.JPG
DSCF4699.JPG

If you have a bead roller you can roll a lip in the splice piece to help, when screwing it together & welding it.

Ya, I saw yours and I'm thinking of doing that. How much of a lip did you put on yours? I was thinking a lip on each side of the filler strip with the lip down inside the wheelwell. That can be covered/hidden with bedliner and inside the trunk area can get a skim of filler.

Yep, about .375-.5 lip. That's exactly what I did. Just skip weld it when you do to keep warping to a min. I'd dehump the outer wheel tub while you have the inner out.

I plan to do the de-hump when I have the quarters off.

Auto Transport Service
Back