• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini tub cars..... anyone do the outside of the tub? Please post up some pictures.

Hemirunner

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing a mini tub on a 70RR and thinking that I should do the outside in order to run the size tire I want at the low ride height that I want without having to run the tire 4" inside the fender lip. If you guys could post up some pics and explain how you did it, that would be appreciated.

why would you mini tub when yoy can use a 15x29x12,5 stock

why run that when you can run a 345 wide tyre. because a wider tyre gives more grip, looks way cool and easy to do.

Hemi, I haven't seen it personally but a couple of the mopar guys on pro touring have done it, some have removes the wheel tub completely and installed new ones and other have just cut out the recessed hump and welded in some new sheet metal.

40C261DA-3C3D-46F8-BB29-482F3E3E7361_zpsbch590xx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

why would you mini tub when yoy can use a 15x29x12,5 stock

Why not? I got the car stripped down and with all the AMD metal. I minitubbed it by widening the inside to the frame and I'll also be doing a leaf spring relocation. I want to do the outside so I can run the car really low and still have the tire be out as far as it can go so it doesn't look ridiculous. Then, I can run whatever tire I choose.

Cut the outer wheel house up and added 2.5" between it and inner tub.
CF96A0AA-A5DC-4948-92D3-F1D95DBD8F05_zps9fiwnttn.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

43E2169B-A014-425E-9A12-8240C35DB674_zpsiusguzda.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

83737956-FE51-4F1A-B473-5B86C77370A9_zpscppxyyoc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Put the trunk floor piece back in on the other side
81208C4A-2DB0-45E1-A8F8-96351E68DA2B_zpsrqtyfgfa.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Then I'll dive into the outer tub on this side...
D0ECBD1A-650E-488C-A30C-B0CB0B442A51_zpsmatp3hch.jpg

Nice looking work! There's a handful of us here that have done that mod and it's become known as De-Humping. I'm comfortably running 285s on a 69 Charger that has been dropped almost 2" and could go possibly to 305s if I could find them for my wheel. I really wanted to move my tubs in like you did but I could never afford the wheels or tires at that width haha, good luck.

Thanks! I was hoping to see some examples so I could get some ideas, but I just decided on a plan and started cutting. This will be a pavement scraping drag car so I wanted all the room I could get to drop the car over the tire but still have it out at the edge of the wheel house. We'll be running a 315 radial on these most of the time.
CWI_X_Black__92370.1408298148.1280.1280.jpg

I have the spring relocation on my 70 Roadrunner. I mini-tubbed the inner wheel housings and made a mini tub for the outer housings. I made the wheel tub lip first then welded the 1/2 round face on then fitted sheet metal to meet up with wheel housing. Once it was all welded up I cut out the excess wheel housing from inside the tub. Heaps of room, but I am only using 315's on the rear. Hope it gives you some ideas.1497290_538545506260521_2039457620_n.jpg

Very nice Viper. That was probably a better way of doing it than I did. Way less distortion from cutting and welding I would presume.

Seems to me that several years ago there was a story in either Hot Rod or Car Craft on Mini-Tubbing a '69 or '70 Super B. Seems I recall them using an extra set of inner factory tubs for the outer halves swapping left for right/right for left and welding in filler strips to complete the project. If this story could be located and reviewed/reprinted it would be worth the research time.

Bob

Seems to me that several years ago there was a story in either Hot Rod or Car Craft on Mini-Tubbing a '69 or '70 Super B. Seems I recall them using an extra set of inner factory tubs for the outer halves swapping left for right/right for left and welding in filler strips to complete the project. If this story could be located and reviewed/reprinted it would be worth the research time.

Bob
I came across that article when I was doing some online research. It's David Freiburger's car (editor of HR). I don't remember the details and now I can't find it. Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

2A1A4396-7BAF-4D7F-8B2B-25D12CF95575_zpsb2fvly4u.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

B7C31C52-645D-4737-9BB4-ABF569C843B4_zpsxzn1bepx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

6CF0CB59-4BB0-43C0-9C11-49AF6D34CB4A_zpsdiac6ks5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

3B677195-7CFB-4B39-82ED-1CDC9A90C8C1_zpso6oxsoxq.jpg

I came across that article when I was doing some online research. It's David Freiburger's car (editor of HR). I don't remember the details and now I can't find it. Oh well.

Go here....http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-...g-guide/ and here... http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/hrdp-1007-david-freiburgers-1970-dodge-super-bee-unearthed/
Thanks for the link. It looks like they just moved the inner tub to the frame rail.
011large%2b1970_dodge_super_bee%2bwheel_well_view.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I've done that part as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I should be able to put a 14x32 slick in there or whatever size drag radial I decide to run.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a really nice job of mini-tubbing. My work isn't quite that nice.
hrdp_0903_14_z%2b1969_plymouth_satellite%2bdiy_mini_tubbing_guide.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

hrdp_0903_13_z%2b1969_plymouth_satellite%2bdiy_mini_tubbing_guide.jpg

Documented in my build thread . . .

I've got the mini tubs done and it's fully documented in my build thread . . . starts on page 41 . . . I cut the entire outside off and replaced it with a flat sheet of metal, and then filled in the gaps ( from inside the wheel well - that was a LOT of fun ) . . .

Here's the start of the filling - attaching to the flat sheet . . .

sm_minitub3.jpg

From the trunk - here's the driver side ( originally - didn't get the passenger side before I finished )

sm_tuboldnew1.jpg

And the passenger side after I got it completed . . .

sm_tuboldnew3.jpg

And the trunk torsion bar bracket - how it was originally . . .

sm_tuboldnew2.jpg

And how it was reattached after the inner well was moved into the frame rail . . .

sm_tuboldnew4.jpg

Here the reattaching of the inner well to the frame rail . . . in progress . . .

sm_minitubsfin1.jpg

IMG_2491.jpgIMG_2492.jpgIMG_2498.jpgIMG_2570.jpgIMG_20140813_170609.jpg
I sliced up the outside wheelhouse and welded it back together, removed the annoying, and interfering 'Hump' they all have, which would rub against these tires that will go into these widened wheelhouses on my Satellite.

Donny, I wonder why they were made with the "hump" in the first place? I'm sure they never expected to have the tires like we have now, but what purpose did the 'hump' serve?

Conv67,
I've read through your build thread. You've got your work cut out for you doing a convertible, especially a pre-68. Looking good. Thanks for the info. I still have to finish the driver's side well and then on to the passenger side. Then, I'll be attaching the trunk hinge/torsion rod brackets back on. I also plan on relocating the springs under the frame rails, but I'll be doing it a bit different. I like the modern hemi. Nice touch!

Conv67,
I've read through your build thread. You've got your work cut out for you doing a convertible, especially a pre-68. Looking good. Thanks for the info. I still have to finish the driver's side well and then on to the passenger side. Then, I'll be attaching the trunk hinge/torsion rod brackets back on. I also plan on relocating the springs under the frame rails, but I'll be doing it a bit different. I like the modern hemi. Nice touch!

Now you got me curious Hemirunner - I didn't know that there was another way ? I'd like to see what you got in store for the spring relocation.

I got my spring relocation from US CarTools and they were very nicely designed, installed easily, and look great.

Curious to see how you plan on doing them . . . you got me interested and intrigued ! !

I can't wait to see your plan ! !

Well, keep in mind I'm building an SFI25.3 racing chassis inside mine, but the front spring boxes will stick up through the floor to raise the front spring eye to lower the car. For the rear, I'll be notching the frame rails and building in rear spring eye mounts that include sliders instead of shackles.
91043306_L.jpg

I finished welding out the tub. I still need to grind the welds and go over the seams with seam sealer and paint it all with POR-15 before the quarter goes on.
6C4C47B2-70F0-4458-ACDD-CA949369E1F6_zps6xyuvwgf.jpg

Maybe the outer wheelhouses were also used on earlier model cars, and, they just kept stamping them out for the B Body car line? Yeah, stock size tires on our car body's looks ridiculous for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back