• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minor radiator leak

Marco Perez

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys so now I'm dealing with a very minor leak at the top of the radiator, upon further inspection I realized the radiator fluid should be chamged so I plan on draining it and refilling it. Has anyone tried this copper radiator stop leak stuff? Any suggestion ? And also how many gallons of radiator fluid would I need to refill jt after? I have a 64 chrysler newport 361 v8 5.9L

Screenshot_20220528-180358_Chrome.jpg

Find a radiator shop and get the leak repaired correctly by soldering it.

You couldn’t pay me to use that in my classic car. Potential problems coming your way.

Hey guys so now I'm dealing with a very minor leak at the top of the radiator, upon further inspection I realized the radiator fluid should be chamged so I plan on draining it and refilling it. Has anyone tried this copper radiator stop leak stuff? Any suggestion ? And also how many gallons of radiator fluid would I need to refill jt after? I have a 64 chrysler newport 361 v8 5.9L

View attachment 1291199
First off the "new radiator" in a bottle.. dont bother. I wouldnt want that in my cooling system. The leak is only going to get worse but if its minor and you want to fix other things first just flush it until you can get it fixed at a radiator shop.
Second dont buy an aluminum radiator fix the stock one if its in good enough shape.
Third i like to buy three or four gallons of distilled water and two gallons of concentrated coolant. I drain from the lower hose, refill with distilled water run and drain again at least once before i put the coolant in.

Yea it's on the top not really by cap but it's on top rim of radiator and well I hope it's that's cheap around here,.. and thanks for the advice on not using the leak stopper stuff.

You may not need a Re-core. How much have you driven the car? Did it cool fine?

All of those Stop Leak products are just a band aid imo. Get it repaired correctly like stated above.

You may not need a Re-core. How much have you driven the car? Did it cool fine?

Yea I drove it home funny part is it didn't leak at all. I popped hood and it was jor forming a small little puddle on top but I would wipe it and it would bearly start getting wet nothing crazy thou not enough to form any drop on the floor of my driveway

Yes by the full strengt antifreeze, don’t bother with that 50/50 stuff. It costs you more money, and how hard is it to mix water and antifreeze?

ABSOLUTELY.....USE THE FULL STRENGTH COOLANT. Personally, I prefer to use my tap water @ $1.20 / 1000 gallons vs $ 4.50 / half gallon (in the pre-mixed ratio). My tap water is soft water without any calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate (as dissolved and suspended solids) and a pH of 7.1, so I do not see the need for distilled or RO generated water....for my application.
The best solution for the OP is get the leaking radiator professionally cleaned and repaired and pressure tested and leave the "snake oil products" to those who are searching for the unobtainable......just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

So if it's full strength I need 1 gallon and one gallon of water? Or 2 gallons of each ?

Depends on the TOTAL LIQUID CAPACITY of the cooling system, including the heater AND THE MIX RATIO you want to achieve/maintain. Its a simple 1:1 dilution. TOTAL CAPACITY ÷ DILUTION RATIO/2 = COOLANT AND WATER REQUIRED. Its not an exact science......its a +/- thing.....a slight difference WILL NOT RESULT in the world coming to an end......hopefully......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back