• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing brake fluid

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
No problem with brakes till now on my 63 b-body. All drums. Pulled out of the garage yesterday and the brakes failed. Open the master cylinder and the chamber for the front brakes was empty. I see no leaks anywhere. Power assist drum?

Leaking out the plunger down the inside of the firewall where you can't see it. If you look where the plunger goes in to the master cylinder under the dash it should be wet.

Leaking out the plunger down the inside of the firewall where you can't see it. If you look where the plunger goes in to the master cylinder under the dash it should be wet.

Power brakes so it won't be running down the firewall... It'll be inside the booster...

Many people don’t know that this stuff simply evaporates too (very slowly). If there’s a little leak in the rubber seal over the reservoir it’ll just evaporate away over the course of a year or two. Had a ‘55 C1B pickup for a decade or so. That was before the rubber seal. The filler plug had a little hole for venting (so not sealed). Once a year I had to refill the MC. No leaks anywhere. System worked great.

I was recently educated that it evaporates as well. I still find it hard to believe.

The leaking into the booster seems more logical, though disturbing.

Many people don’t know that this stuff simply evaporates too (very slowly). If there’s a little leak in the rubber seal over the reservoir it’ll just evaporate away over the course of a year or two. Had a ‘55 C1B pickup for a decade or so. That was before the rubber seal. The filler plug had a little hole for venting (so not sealed). Once a year I had to refill the MC. No leaks anywhere. System worked great.
Thanks. Now I have something to hope for.

I take a long zip tie and check it like a dipstick.

Auto Transport Service
Back